Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Between a sock and a hard place.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but my first sock it complete.

No, not just the first sock of a pair, but my FIRST SOCK ever. Uh-huh, it's a bit horrifying but I have never made socks. I've been knitting 22 years (yes, that means I started knitting in the womb - hah) and my first project was a cable sweater. I'm not afraid of a challenge, just didn't see the point. Even after reading the wonderful odes to the joy of socks by the Yarn Harlot , I remained unconvinced. But finally, I found a reason to make them - a certain someone I know who likes to sleep with as many layers as possible - yes, even in the August Oklahoma heat.

I knew this person would appreciate these thick socks, made from Art Yarns Supermerino. I also knew she would love the fairisle ones in fingering weight that I started three months ago...but she can't really appreciate a half-done sock that's still on the DPN's...which is where that first sad sock still lies, buried under much newer, shinier, instant-gratification projects.

So here it is...THE SOCK. I was so excited when I finished it, I almost jumped up in the middle of the kid's karate class and shouted "It's done!" But rather than risk embarrassing myself in front of the cute instructor, I decided to just show you guys:


This went so fast thanks to the help of Gina H. And to prove I do not suffer from "second sock syndrome":


Also, had a great meeting with Paula, our lovely new Schaefer yarn rep, and she convinced us to start carrying the Schaefer line. Actually, it didn't take much convincing. We especially fell hard for Esperanza, a felting yarn of 70% lambswool and 30% alpaca. This is the softest felting yarn we've ever touched, and it comes in these superskeins named after powerful women (think Harriett Tubman and Indira Ghandi). Paula had a great little bag called the Sophie Bag made from just one skein! Ingrid snagged a skein on the spot, and her bag was finished the next day. So move over, Lucy bag...Sophie is in town!





We predict this is the next big thing in bags. The yarn should be here in just a week or two...

Lastly, while Ingrid was posing for her shots, Kate-the-wonder-purse-maker came in with yet another great felted bag, featuring one of our exclusive felted flowers. Kate says, in a good week, she can make 3 felted bags! Kudos, Kate.



Oh, and if you need one more last-minute gift, check out Gina Y.'s Last Minute Hat class this Saturday from 1-3. It's made with Noro Korochon and really turned out wonderfully.

- Shelley

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Merrill said...

Love your Blog. I'm signing up for the January beginner class. I'm so excited. Can't wait to get started. Thank you for my beginner gift.
Karen

December 20, 2006 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Being Sherry's niece I could go on and on about socks!! We have loved receiving her hand-knit socks for years. When she gave my mom sock YARN?? for Christmas a few years ago, she really spread the joy... eventually... after the shock wore off. After finishing a few pairs myself, most not even wrong-side out, I have found that I appreciate the portability of sock knitting. Skipping both heels and toes, I will be teaching the JAVA SOCK class at LOOPS in January! This is the class for someone to master a handful of #2 dpn's and then enjoy a hot cup of Starbuck's in knitterly style!! Join me!

December 23, 2006 at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home