Thursday, July 19, 2007

Stop. Think. Stitch marker.

So yesterday, I was sitting at my child's dyslexia tutor, with a lovely full hour ahead of me to put up my feet and knit. I pulled out the newest project and knew instantly something was wrong. About 10 stitches had slipped off the needle (all of my point protectors having been pressed into service as Fashion Polly accessories by my youngest). That doesn't seem so bad, except this particular Berroco yarn (which I can't reveal because this is for our Fall Hot Loops wall) has sections that are quite slippery, and they slide down three rows and hide their cowardly little heads in the blink of an eye.

Aah, but that was just the beginning.

At first, it's just a primal sense that's something is amiss. Then, you think you see something. Then, the sense of dread creeps over you as you allow yourself to really look and come to the full realization that YOU KNIT IT WRONG.

True, the picture is bad (there was a glare off my Addi's) but I'm sure the adroit among you will notice that this little swatch of garter stitch, done on circulars (so you actually knit a round, then purl a round vs. all knit rows on straights) has an extra knit row, thus forming a little bonus of renegade stockinette stitch amidst my garter. But wait, it gets better.

Did I mention that, to knit this little confection, you cast on 429 stitches?

That's only about 8 rows. Times 429.

There's the moment of abadon where you just rip those 429 suckers off the needle. And then there's that moment where you start to do calculations in your head. Let's see...it will take me at least an hour to go back 3 rows, but if I have to cast on 429 stitches and knit 8 rows, that will take me 2 hours. But this yarn, dangit, it's like a greased pig and even as you get one stitch back on the needle, with the slightest pull, the next two stitches slide down two rows and it's a very, very slippery slope.

Maybe if I try a smaller crochet hook to catch the loops...

Oh look! The tutoring is done and it's time to go home. Maybe if I spread it all out on our kitchen island:


Here, I have gone back 2 more rows than expected. No one has eaten dinner. But I have realized if I breathe, slow waaay down and stick a stitch marker in the NEXT stitch every time the slippery buggers start to slide down, there is progress.

It ends up taking me 2 1/2 hours to get them all back on.
Maybe I'll go take a dip in the brown pool.

P.S. Have you made the Fauve Curly Q bag yet? The pattern is free and oh so fun with purchase of the yarn. Check it out and shop online at loopsknitting.com

- Shelley

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love those stitch markers! I should buy stock in the company. G.H.

July 19, 2007 at 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one reason I do socks. The other day I had a "little" mishap and had to rip the whole cuff. Wait a minute (64sts x 64 rows... 4,096 stitches).. that is still a ton of stitches. I

July 19, 2007 at 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley! You need to call my pool guy..he had mine clean in 4 days! EMS

July 20, 2007 at 6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can clean your pool in 3 days..........name that pool!

pb

July 21, 2007 at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home