Sunday, June 29, 2008

Smock, smock, who's there?

I just finished one of my favorite pieces I've made in a long, long time.

It's the Gracie Smocked Top & Tunic, and it's from a new line of single patterns called Heirloom Stitches. I met the designer at market last year, and loved all of her styles. They have that classic look that you see on well-mannered children in the Deep South. Not that my little model is particularly well-mannered, but she IS awfully cute in this:

The pattern calls for Tilli Tomas Pure&Simple Silk and Rockstar Beaded Silk, which is gorgeous of course (I saw the model at market), but I went more practical and used Plymouth Jeannee. I love this yarn! It's a cotton blend, very soft, washable AND dryable (though I never machine dry my hand-knits), and works up fast in a nice worsted weight but the finished product is surprisingly lightweight. And get this...to make this size 8 was under $25 retail!!! I used tulle ribbon from Hobby Lobby for the straps, which is the perfect touch, I think.

The pattern called for a picot bind-off with a crochet hook - which I did across the bodice, but not around the bottom ruffle. At the end of the ruffle, I think I had around 1,000 stitches! I'm a knitting enthusiast, not a knitting masochist.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this at the store last night and LOVED it! You're right, the ribbon was perfect. -e

July 3, 2008 at 4:49 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

darling

July 4, 2008 at 5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 4, 2008 at 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 4, 2008 at 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 6, 2008 at 2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 6, 2008 at 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home