Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bloggin' can be a beach.

In case you've been wondering where I am: The last few times I've tried to blog, I've had trouble getting photos to load. And now, I am here:

On the way here, I almost finished this:

This skirt completely ROCKS. So fun to knit. Thank you, Annie Modesitt and also Berroco for making the perfect yarn - Love It, a cotton blend with sexy stretch - in the perfect shade of red. My only regret is that I forgot to pack my sewing kit and elastic for the waist, so the first fitting will have to wait until I'm back home. But at least I'll have tan legs by then, so the skirt will be better in the photos. Next, I'm casting on for this:

I'm using Louisa Harding Mulberry silk, in black, and Tilli Tomas Rockstar for the flowers, in off-white. Let's hope this goes better than my last adventure in black silk, the dress-from-you-know-where. This time I'm armed with the designer's email address (thanks, Kristin!) and an ott-lite.
I'm also gonna swatch for this Mock-Smock Swing Top using Plymouth Jeannee:

It's from a new vendor for us, Heirloom Stitches. Super-cute patterns with a simple, deep-south appeal. I'm in the deep south at the moment (doesn't get much deeper than the corner of Mississippi/Alabama/Florida) and I have to say, these people know how to dress their kids. Plus, they are so cute with their manners and their southern accents. Just so long as they don't call me ma'am. ;-)

- Shelley
P.S. In case you're wondering, Sandy and Lucy are in good hands with our house-sitters. Although right now, they may be having a dog party in the pantry with the Pepperidge Farm cookies. Who knows?
shop online at loopsknitting.com

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Southern manners. Isn't amazing what a hand-picked willow switch can do? (Speaking from experience, here....) ;)

Billie Anne

May 23, 2008 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

I may have to try that one...no, wait...my dad used a branch straight from an oak tree on me...I'm Tulsa born and bred...and it doesn't appear to have done me any good whatsoever.

May 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your memory fails you. It was not a branch from an oak tree but a very small paddle which was named "Willie" and shaped like a whale. It was used sparingly and more reluctantly than you can imagine, but it did keep you on your toes and, momentarily, repentant. As to doing you any permanent good, it was designed more to keep you from doing any permanent harm to yourself.
Love, Dad

May 24, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are having a grand time. Bring home some coconuts. GM

May 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love "Dad's" comments :)
That beach looks amazing! I'm glad you are having a good time.
xxxx
0000
GY

May 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Was at your fab store yesterday. Loved the ipod playlist. Would you consider posting the playlists on your blog? I have to admit to not knowing the names to the songs I like. It would be terrific to know. You could even set it up so others could share their favorites?

Got all the fixin's for the Debbie Bliss Collared Cardigan yesterday in an incredible blue - can't wait to finish the Gisela project. The varigated Alchemy you had is making up beautifully. You are one of the few stores that carry it.

Your staff ROCKS. They are so nice, so welcoming. Wish I lived closer.

My family had the paddle with the three little bottoms on it. It too was used sparingly - but effectively. ;-) I have to agree, there is nothing better than children with incredible manners. Have fun - swim lots - build sand castles and relax. Brenda Finkle

May 25, 2008 at 5:47 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Dad, you're right - Willie was as adorable as a paddle could ever be. However, you are forgetting the time when I lied that I was going to get the mail, then took off on my tricycle and crossed 51st street in heavy traffic. I was mad that mom wouldn't take me with her to the grocery. When she spotted me on my trike going against the traffic, she brought me home and you pulled a branch off the nearest tree. Not really sure it was an oak, but I WAS sure I deserved it and would never do it again!

I must add here that no one could ever wish for a kinder, gentler, wiser and more loving Dad.

Brenda, so glad you had fun at the store. I have often said we are blessed with the best yarn staff in the U.S.A.! Not many owners could head off for the beach and feel so confident that the store is in great hands. And yes, I will post the current song list when I return - we've actually had several requests for the list this month :)

May 25, 2008 at 6:13 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

YEAH! So happy to hear that you'll post the list! Your store was full yesterday - ladies knitting, shopping and having a wonderful time. Have fun! I'll bring in my sweaters when they're done.

May 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home