Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Feels good down to my toes.

Today I got my first-ever pair of hand-knitted socks. Strange to say, since I own dozens of hand-knitted garments, but I don't own a single pair of knitted socks. I have only ever made one pair, and they were for my sister (the other, half-finished pair still sitting on my needles from last year doesn't count). So I was especially, totally thrilled to get this pair from Gina Marie:

She made them from our Adriafil KnitCol, using a pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. I agree with my tennis partner, Karen, who exclaimed, "THOSE ARE THE CUTEST SOCKS I'VE EVER SEEN!" It's funny, but I don't get a lot of knitted gifts. When you own a yarn store, I guess some people think that knitting for you would be, I dunno, redundant somehow. But nothing could be further from the truth! More than anyone, I understand the huge amount of care, time and effort that goes into a gift like this. I still smile every time I pull on the Koigu handwarmers Ingrid made for me last year. There is just something so fragile and warm and wonderful about giving a handmade gift, and something even more wonderful about receiving them.

Which leads me to my other point. If you live in the Tulsa area, you know how much this city's world has been rocked in the last week. With around a million people out of power in Oklahoma, and many out of water, for a week or more, life has truly been chaos. Which makes the giving of handmade gifts made from locally-purchased yarn all the more meaningful. None of us have time to shop and few of us have money leftover after all the unexpected expenses - tree-trimming, meals out, and if you were lucky, hotel charges. But we can make something special - even if it's a one-hour hat - for someone who was there for us during the craziness. And that, truly, is the best gift of all.

That, and a Loops gift card ;-)

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

10 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Really cute socks! I must say I am totally shocked about the whole sock situation you have. That must be fixed next year. Merry Christmas.

December 18, 2007 at 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 18, 2007 at 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! La Ninja probably worked those up in an afternoon no doubt. I have power back at my house and didn't even have to resort to doing my dishes in the bathtub or shooting them with a shotgun out back like Billie Anne suggested.
Ellen

December 19, 2007 at 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks, Ellen. Now those who don't know me will think I'm Ellie May Clampett. :-)

Would've made a GREAT news story, though....

Billie Anne

December 19, 2007 at 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Billie Anne, but I have a cement pond and horses in my back yard. Ellen

December 19, 2007 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are so cute! I am making socks for my family, but in my usual procastination ways I don't have them all done. I'm going to be up from now until Christmas making stuff. However, it's totally worth it! I'm glad that Tulsa is doing better. My family and I have been worried about all the ice! Our thoughts and prayers are with all of y'all.

December 19, 2007 at 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I would LOVE to receive hand knit gifts!

December 19, 2007 at 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a pair of Gumbis in your future... :)

December 19, 2007 at 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! One of my 4th grade students just gave me a Loops gift card!!
Signed, A Very Happy Art Teacher

December 20, 2007 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I love the socks & am so happy for you to get something for yourself.;) And I couldn't agree more right now about our city & it's struggles. Sure brings home the reason for the season.

December 20, 2007 at 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home