Wednesday, December 2, 2009

LMKG #2: Turn A Square Hat.

I have a family member who has a big head. No, I mean a Really. Big. Head. We tell him he just has a really big brain but...nevertheless...he cannot find a storebought hat to fit him. This comprised a good excuse to knit him a Turn a Square Hat by Jared Flood as a Last Minute Gift. I love the way Jared uses a solid + a striping Noro to create really cool color effects. Plus, the pattern is free. So I decided to make it for my XL cranium compadre.

However, my available models have slightly smaller noggins. So you'll have to imagine this fitting much better. Here goes:


I used one skein of Noro Cashmere Island color #1 and, much to my chagrin, two skeins of Mainland alpaca. Unfortunately, I had to go into that second skein - barely. I went up a needle size (from 6 & 7s to 7 & 8s) and added a half and inch to the hat before the crown shaping. I plan to make it again, using more Cashmere Island (LOVE this stuff) and either Cascade Eco Alpaca or Jade Sapphire Cashmere - either of which should only require one skein.

This was a very fun, quick hat to make - it's addictive to watch the stripes develop. And Jared's simple technique for "jogless stripes" is sheer brilliance.

Do you know someone with a big head? This is the gift idea for you!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

3 Comments:

Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

Love the pattern. I used it with two strands of Happy Feet held together (no stripes) last Christmas, and it fit my brother great! I was just thinking about starting up another again. It would look awesome, too, (assuming there's time before gift-giving) to do a noro striped scarf with it, too...Or a short one w/ buttons if no time for a long one.

December 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this hat in a solid color for my hubby and used Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran purchased at Loops. I'll try to get a photo posted on the Rav group.

December 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Great idea. I married into a family with really big heads. They measure the size of their "craniums" :-)

December 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home