Monday, April 12, 2010

Pina coladas, fake tans and summer projects.

The other day, the Oklahoma wind was sweepin' down the plain, and you could just feel summer coming. I was so hot and parched while driving the kids home from school, I did something I rarely do - I reached for my daughter's drink. It happened to be a Quiktrip Freezoni in a flavor I had never heretofore experienced: Pina Colada.

O.

M.

G.

If you are lucky enought to have a Quiktrip within a 100 mile radius, you've got to run out and try this thing. Instantly, you are on a beach somewhere. Your body is tanned and flawless in your string bikini. You are radiant and refreshed. Seriously, you don't even need to add rum to this stuff to feel giddy. I normally shun the oversweet frozen concoctions, but I may have to work my way through the other flavors. (Don't be afraid, Pina Colada is white, not lime green - this is the only photo I could find).


My next summer tip comes from Suzanne, my hair stylist who is also a wonderful knitter and crocheter. She told me about Antidote, a self-tanner that purports to have absolutely no nasty processing smell ("smell like a flower, not a chicken!"). Being of Dutch descent (i.e. pasty), and since I spend a fair amount of time running around town in a tennis skirt, I am eager to try this stuff. If I end up looking like this, I'll let ya know!


Now, on to the yarn portion of this post. I'm trying to decide on my next summer project. I'm headed to NYC this week (a birthday present for Sam, who's turning 14 and has never been to the Apple) and I need some good little projects for the plane. After Meandering Vines, the last thing I thought I'd want to do is a lace project. But the Little Silk Shrug pattern by Pam Allen from "Lace Style" is calling to me.


It would only take 2 skeins of Mulberry Silk, and would be so cute over summer dresses. But I also love Emmaline from the new issue of knitty.com, which only takes 4 skeins of organic cotton Sprout:

Or...the Ribbed Lace Bolero by Kelly Maher, in Tahki Cotton Classic (4 skeins).


Or...I could chuck the summer thing altogether, and make Sixteen. Such a cool hat. Maybe in Malabrigo or Thistle.


Eek! So many projects, so little time! I'm headed to Loops today to make my decision. Feel free to weigh in with comments.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

4 Comments:

Blogger loretta said...

I vote for the Ribbed Lace Bolero or the hat. If I could only pick one, it would be the hat. I threw in the bolero because it would probably be easier knitting on an airplane. But that hat is just too cute!

April 12, 2010 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger cassidy ann said...

Love, love, love the hat. I'm planning on whipping up a bunch of cuties like this so that this fall/winter I can wear a "beret-a-day"!!

April 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger bschlot said...

Happened to be in Plano Texas today, DH & I found a QT......confirming the yummy Pina Colada frozen drink. Would not even have thought about trying previously. Will now have to keep our eyes open for future stops. Thank you for the recommendation! And now back to my knitting.

April 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger Ms Blondie Knits said...

1. Even though it's delish on it's own, I think we do need to conduct a culinary experiment and add some rum to the frozen piña colada drink. ;-)

2. I can't wait to try Antidote. I am in need of a non smelly self-tanner, too -- I can't stand the smell of them, and I've tried at least 6 different brands.

3. I made the Ribbed Lace Bolero (daughter wore it a few times and then lost it) -- it is a really fast knit. You could finish that on your plane ride!

4. The other little lace shrug is really cute, but would take a little longer. More elegant, but less instant gratification.

5. The Sprout tunic is darling! Four skeins? You'd be done in no time!

6. You should probably make them all, Loops Lady!

April 19, 2010 at 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home