Monday, February 5, 2007

Throwing my hat in.

I have been in a hat slump. First, I decided we needed a store sample out of the new Rowan Alpaca soft boucle. I just love this stuff and wanted a sample so everyone would want to touch it. The "snowball beret" with tons - and I mean TONS - of bobbles seemed like a good choice. And it did turn out cute...on the mannequin. Trouble is it came out about 2 sizes too big. When I wear it, it looks like a very large, very soft shower cap - kinda like those embellished plastic things that synchronized swimmers wore in the '50s.

Then came the Summer Tweed beret. I got this little crocheted cap at Old Navy and M commandeered it and started wearing it everywhere. She wears it sideways, sort of the "preschool gangsta" look. So many people asked if I made it, I was embarrassed and started looking for a pattern to make a new one. Clearly I had not learned from the shower cap incident because I chose a different yarn that the pattern called for and started right in without swatching. Why, oh why? It should have become clear, by the time I started into my FOURTH skein, that it might come out just a tad big. I tried it on my daughter's head and laughed until I cried. This hat was only meant for the Elephant Man and only if he had really big dreadlocks.

I should've given up. But nooooooo...Next came the girliflauge hat. We got this really great color in SWT Bamboo called "girliflauge," as in camo for girls. Against everyone's advice, I decided to make a hat with it! I chose a pattern that called for merino at 4 1/2 sts/inch gauge, while the bamboo is, well, bamboo, at a 5 sts/inch gauge. M this one, but only because she will wear anything camoflauge. Please don't look too closely at the messy modular top with all the lacy holes. Luckily she can't see the top when she's wearing it.


Ever the glutton for punishment, I decided to just make a hat for myself. Ironically, most everything I have made is at the store, and with this frigid weather, I've really been wishing for a nice, warm hat and pretty scarf to just plain wear. I turned to Louisa Harding. Many of you have not yet discovered these gorgeous yarns that all coordinate with one another in amazing ways. And finally, finally, I found hat success! I swatched like a good girl, and sized down one needle, and made this lovely beanie in the new Pure Angora. Not the least bit itchy, mind you. It's like a little cloud on my head, and in the most gorgeous shade of berry-pink-deep red that absolutely will not reproduce on this computer:


And to go with it, I started this scarf which I can honestly say is the prettiest I have ever made. It uses four coordinating shades in Pure Angora, Kimono Ribbon and Impression. The Impression has some mohair, to which I am allergic. So I am just using it on the ends, which will never touch my face...and I have to run and wash my hands after I work with it. But just look at it - I couldn't pass it up! Again, it is so much more beautiful in person. You really need to check out these yarns.


Now, which hat to make next?

3 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

I think there's just something mysteriously weird about hats sometimes!

February 5, 2007 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Shelley - I decided to knit my husband a hat for our ski trip to Colorado. I had the same problem as you...being supportive, he told me he loved it and could wear it OVER his ski helmet:)

February 5, 2007 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger CrochetingCricket said...

I must have an abnormally large head, because most of the hats I crochet look like swimming caps! I found success using the Louisa Harding Fauve and a pattern from CrochetMe.com. Yea for Louisa Harding!

February 6, 2007 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home