Sunday, July 29, 2007

Bedlam temptation.

For the edification of you non-Okies, we have quite a state college rivalry. Every year, the University of Oklahoma (OU) Sooners and the Oklahoma State (OSU) Cowboys have a football face-off that's come to be known as the Bedlam Series. I didn't attend either school, but I pay attention for 3 primary reasons:

1. My parents met while at OU. They are now divorced but the personal nostalgia lives on. I remember being allowed to join them on very grown-up bus trips to Norman for the games, while my baby sister stayed home. Doesn't get more nostaglic than that.
2. My husband went to BOTH schools - two years of 70s-style partying at OU, followed by one year at a very dark and intense art school (think Hogwarts), followed by a hallelujah-I finally-found-my-calling year studying art & design at the highly-regarded OSU/Okmulgee. But apparently, his heart still belongs to the party years (or maybe he's trying to keep the peace with my 6-foot-6-inches tall father), so he cheers for OU.
3. I graduated from Texas Christian University, home of the horned frogs. Yes, that's right. You wanna make somethin' of it? And, while the education is great, and we did beat OU one very glorious time in recent years, that is pretty much the limit of the glory, unless you count the tennis team.

Anyway, when our friends Stacey and Amanda over at Tempted Yarns asked if I had any special sock yarn orders, I quickly put in a request for OU and OSU colors. After all, they already make a great University of Tulsa blend:

Plus, customers are always asking for OU crimson-and-cream or OSU orange-and-black (it's not just for Halloween anymore!). With every sales rep that visits with some new sock yarn, my hopes are raised, only to be dashed yet again. So imagine my ecstasy when Stacey and Amanda mixed up these little babies:


These were part of a larger order, including the wild colors like Punk Junkie and Shock Rocker from our first order that flew off the shelves in just days. When Stacey asked how many I wanted, and I said 20, and she said you mean like, 3 of each color? And I said no, I mean 20 EACH, I don't think she quite believed me. But we are already taking requests for the OSU and OU colors, and the list is filling fast enough to make a horned frog's head spin. I have a feeling that when the yarn arrives this week, there's only gonna be one word for it.

Bedlam.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope I'm there when we get it!!
Gina Y.

July 29, 2007 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly: you have become quite the journalest... I love reading your notes... and even though I can not knit socks yet... I am incline to buy the yarn so I can!! You are so inspirational... I'll be in to try and steel some of that OU color is it is available.... thanks PSK

July 29, 2007 at 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that there are gobs of Razorback fans in T-town, too? And then there's Holland Hall... I'm betting that the red and white sells out WAY before the Halloween socks, tee-hee.

July 30, 2007 at 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Don't forget the KC Van Gogh's...school colors black and blacker. Or The Stella Adler Drama Queens...Ellen

July 30, 2007 at 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard we had an improptu OU vs OSU sock yarn "buy off". I was there when customers were calling their old classmates. Which school is ahead?

August 2, 2007 at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home