Sunday, September 30, 2007

Clay.

And now, a little break from our usual preferred art medium of Fiber. Please indulge me while I brag just a teeny tiny bit on my middle, 10-year-old daughter. As I've shared here before, she's dyslexic. She's also a near-black-belt in karate, incredibly kind and funny, and an accomplished puppeteer (her occasional puppet shows at school have blossomed into highly-anticipated weekly events for all grade levels).

But the thing that really freaks us out is the clay. A year or so ago, she started disappearing into her room and emerging with little things like Earl & Cece:

(BTW, that's a loincloth. My daughter is very modest.)
Here's Flower Child:

Pinhead:

And Pinkeye:

And when I say "little," I'm not kiddin'. Each of these "clay guys," as she calls them, is about 1 - 2 inches tall. Here's her newest one - Rasta Guy Knitting in a Canoe. She wanted me to take the picture next to some bananas, and "pretend he's singing 'Day-oh.'" But Brent's camera is in the shop, and I had to go outside to get this measly picture. If only you could see the detail:

I think that Rasta Guy, who is knitting with toothpicks, is intended to make me feel better about her chosen medium-du-jour. Can you imagine what this kid could be doing with yarn? Here is her take on Global Warming:

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I'd love to see these little guys animated. Your daughter is extremely creative and talented.

September 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger faroutmom said...

Wow!! She could have something with those. They are awesome! Keep up the good work wee one!

September 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

I love those little dudes and dudettes... your daughter IS incredibly talented. Rasta Guy cracked me up.

October 1, 2007 at 3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Earl and Cece! I do believe there is a creative gene. She's proof. There may be an Etsy store in her future!

October 1, 2007 at 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! She has a God given talent here. Keep going and creating!!!

October 1, 2007 at 6:25 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

How impressive! She needs to go to work for Disney channel or wherever they make those claymation small films for in between kid tv shows!:)Be proud mom-that's one talented kid.

October 1, 2007 at 6:48 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

She is very talented. Her figures are wonderful, and I will watch here for updates as I suspect the talent will bloom as she ages. Wonderful!

October 1, 2007 at 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home