Friday, December 21, 2007

A tomboy and a girly-girl.

My two daughters really could not be more different. One likes pink and purple; the other's favorite color is "indigo." One is working on her Hannah Montana dance moves; the other is working on her black belt in karate. I'm aware of this, but what really brought it home to me was sitting back and looking at what I knit each of them for Christmas.

One of them is getting this:

The other one is getting this:

Need I say more? Well, actually, yes. I need to tell you that the American Girl doll sweater was designed by our fabulous Kendall years ago. I've finally made it into an official Loops Original Pattern. I used Berroco Pure Merino, then added a ruffle in Online Solo. This knitted tape yarn was a big hit for scarves when it debuted last year. I found it was even more fun to use for an edging. I also found a video on (oh, it pains me to type it - just promise me you won't be tempted by all that acrylic) lionbrand.com that shows how to use it (they have a knock-off product called Ruffles).

Brent has the Ruffled Jacket for 18" Doll pattern on our site already (all except the colors for the Online Solo - that should be up later today). Yea Brent!

Now about the Alien scarf. This is arguably the coolest thing I've ever made. It's from the original Stitch and Bitch book, and I made it with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK. It's called illusion knitting. When you look at the scarf straight-on, it looks like a regular ol' boring stripe:

But if you look at it from the right angle, the image begins to emerge:

Spooky, huh?

So I'm in the home stretch now. We're down to every knitter's biggest fear - the two-digit days in December that begin with "2"- and I just started on my son's scarf 2 days ago. It's out of Alpaca with a Twist Highlander in charcoal, forest and cream using a pattern from the creatively titled "Knit Scarves," and I would be adoring this soft yarn if I weren't in such a blinding panic to finish everything.

Sorry, this is a lousy picture but time is money - what do we want people, great photography or finished projects under the tree???!!! I'm trying not to look at those ominous giant balls of yarn in the background behind the scarf. And I'm still thinking I can knock out a hat from the leftovers for my brother-in-law, PLUS the other Koigu glove for my sister. Yeah, that's right. Second Glove Syndrome.

Must. Go. Back. To. Knitting. Now.

- Shelley

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shelley, I thought I was finished with my projects when I looked through my considerable stash and found a couple I had forgotten. Plus added one that Gina M was doing. Ellen

December 21, 2007 at 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the projects you chose for each kid. The scarf for S. is going to be awesome :)
I ran out of yarn for JD's jacket...he'll still get it under the tree with the needles still hanging! Jaeger has discontinued this yarn and it took me 2 hours to locate 2 more balls. At least the pressure is off :)
GY

December 22, 2007 at 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cicely's scarf is amazing! She will love it. I believe I finished my projects this morning. Check out Marisa's pillow on Ravelry.
Gina Marie

December 22, 2007 at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home