Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Self-deprecation.

I read once that a sign of great character is the ability to be self-deprecating. So I practice this often. Actually, I don't have to practice since I naturally give myself plenty of dorky material to work with on a day-to-day basis. I am becoming a self-deprecating expert.

So this is the self-deprecating blog entry where you get to feel smug and superior to the Idiot Yarn Store Owner.

You know that hat I was making for the Mr. Chivalrous Police Officer who saved me on Christmas Eve? The 100% handspun cashmere hat? The hat that turned out a little too big, so Gina H. suggested I give it a "light felting"? Here it is, laying flat on my washer. (I was laying flat on the ground).

It's like a hole-y hatcake pancake. Guess the police officer will have to settle for the heartfelt commendation I called in.

- Shelley
shop online at

1 Comments:

Blogger bschlot said...

Oh my! My greatest sympathies on the cashmere hat. I would be interested in "why" it happened. I would also consider that this happened to you (a very knowledgeable knitter with advisors of great skill also), versus his girlfriend or wife or mom who would have suffered even greater distress and shame. Would they "hide it" or pack and leave, knowing they had inadvertently destroyed a precious heartfelt gift. (No pun intended, really.) My suggestion....frame it and hang in the store with possible explanations, and the added warning "NEVER FELT THIS YARN!" Remember errors in judgment are 10 times the learning experience, plus you can now pass on your now enhanced brain database of "what not to do!" Contact the yarn company and see if they have any ideas too. At the very least you might get comped for the yarn cost. (Knowing there's no fair value on our loving labor.) Also it might be an issue they need to look into, processing, quality control, etc. to make improvements.

February 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home