Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Back in black.

It's been awhile since I shared any of my personal projects on the blog, and I have to tell you, I've been in a black mood. Not a bad mood - just a black mood. So much so that I took on a cape-tunic in stockinette that required 13 balls of merino - well over a thousand yards. That's a lotta black! An Ott lite or at least a strong lamp is definitely helpful in this sort of situation.

But...it was all absolutely worth it. I made this design from the Bergere Origins Book #1. It is in Origin Merinos which is the loveliest, bounciest, smoothest merino I have ever worked with. Butter, I tell you - butter! I swear, I didn't even mind all that black stockinette. The yarn has such a nice twist, I never split it - even while using my Signature Stiletto needles.



The cape has such minimal shaping, I barely had to look at the pattern as I flew along, watching new episodes of Grey's Anatomy, Project Runway (so sad that April left) and various guilty-pleasure Real Housewives episodes. This was mindless knitting at its finest.



I was worried that the 100% Merino might be itchy or hot. Not so! I've worn this cape three times to work in the last week. I always get hot at work, running around helping customer. But the cape wings' natural "pit ventilation" kept everything nice and cool, and the merino breathes like cotton.



As if that weren't enough black, I next cast on to make a fast, easy scarf to showcase the Maya yarn from Tahki. We've had this yarn since spring, but the chunky vest model I made was really not season-appropriate. I had seen a capelet where someone alternated a fur-type yarn with a smooth one for a less in-your-face effect. I realized our new Tahki Dove yarn was very similar to the strand that anchors the giant fuzzy thick-and-thin chunks in the Maya. Voila, this long cowl was born!


Here's the recipe. It just takes one skein each of Dove and Maya. Don't be afraid to mix-and-match colors. Have fun with it!
Using #10 long circular needle (at least 32") and Dove, cast on 200 stitches. Knit 5 rows. * Switch to Maya and knit 4 rows, then switch back to Dove and knit 6 rows * Repeat from * two more times. Bind off very loosely with Dove (I used a #11 needle for this). Mattress-stitch ends of scarf together to make a cowl. You're done!


It only took me about 3 hours (vs. about 3 weeks for the cape). Wouldn't this be a great gift for a fashionista on your holiday list? I could barely stand to leave it on the mannequin, I love it so!

And in case you're wondering, I've cast on for my next project and no, it is not black. My eyes say "thank you!"

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Liz Monroe said...

I LOVE this super long cowl-- just ordered the yarn from your store. Thanks for sharing!

October 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Dana and Daisy said...

I love them both! especially the texture in the cowl. Beautiful job Shelley!

October 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger AuntSara said...

stopped in friday @ Utica and picked up some yarn for a couple of projects one is that fab cowl!!

October 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Jennimac said...

I love that cape!!!!! I ordered the yarn for myself and I've just now ordered it for my sisters for Christmas! I think I will finally get them something for Christmas that I'm going to make and have it be done in time. =)

October 25, 2010 at 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loove that cape!!

October 27, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home