Saturday, November 27, 2010

A.P.B. (All Purls Bulletin)!

It's one of those dirty little secrets, a dark underbelly of the business that no one likes to talk about or even think about. It's shocking because we all think of yarn stores as little utopias, immune to woes that befall other retail outlets. And as knitters and crocheters, we simply can't imagine the depth of evil it must require. It's a decidedly un-Christmasy topic (except in a Grinchy sort of way). And yet, I believe the time has come to expose this reality and bring its perpetrators to justice.

I'm talking about (gasp) stolen store models.

I know, it may be difficult to read further. But, for the sake of stitchers everywhere, read on.

I'm putting out an A.P.B. (All Purls Bulletin) for this scarf:


This was Jane's first store model for Loops. As one of our newest "Loops Troops," Jane was especially excited to make a model for the store to show off our new "Bubbles" yarn from Araucania. Just look at her, beaming with pride!


Jane eagerly offered to knit the scarf and together, we chose the fun pink color, thinking it would just "jump off the shelf" and invite others to knit with it.

Well, jump off the shelf it did.

Jane finished the scarf, blocked it after soaking in Eucalan ("It made it so soft!" she said) and put it out for display about two weeks ago. A couple of days ago, we realized it had gone missing.

Sadly, this has happened more often than we can count. I remember the capelet I made from black Berroco Suede five years ago - oh, poncho, where did you go? And just the other day, I went looking for the Koigu Tabbed Mitt that I made last year. My youngest daughter had requested that I complete the pair for her for Christmas. Imagine my chagrin when we realized that, too, had sprouted wings and flown from Loops.

Really, who steals a single fingerless glove? It can't be Michael Jackson. A one-armed bandit?

I've talked to other yarn store owners about this. Many of them "lash" their store models to wire shelving...but then, how can customers try them on? Others tie jingle bells to their handmade pieces - the constant jingle sound could be festive...or it could be annoying.

So, dear readers, fueled by the passion-turned-disappointment that Jane is feeling after lovingly spending so many hours to make that scarf, I'm "outing" this secret and making a direct appeal to you.

Tulsa is a small community. If you see this scarf out and about, please do what you can to help it find its way home to Loops. I'm offering a $100 Loops gift card for its safe return. No questions asked.

Here it is again. It's really quite unique, so take a close look:



And thank you, in advance, for your help. Knitters unite!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

10 Comments:

Anonymous Nancy said...

Hate to see this stuff happen. When it does, I try to believe that whomever was driven to steal surely needed the warmth desperately. Have to wonder, however, what kind of karma surrounds you when you steal something that is to be worn snuggly around you neck! Hope it finds its way home.

November 27, 2010 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Dana and Daisy said...

that's awful! I am keeping my eyes peeled for this scarf and the black poncho and the one handed mitten thief!

and I agree with Nancy, I think I would be scared to wrap something around my neck that had been stolen, it might come to life and take it's revenge on me!

However, I hope the person who returns it is not the thief but a real life Nancy Drew, cause I would not want a thief getting the benefit of the gift card!

November 27, 2010 at 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Colleen Anderson-Sexton said...

I think you should ask Jane to knit another one --- and you should give Jane the 'reward'!

November 27, 2010 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger ctexas said...

Sad Sad hope the person who took it really needed if not I hope they lose it, because they don't deserve it.

November 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Like the previous poster said - let Jane knit another one and give her the reward. Or - give me the yarn, I'll knit another one and you give Jane the reward. Really, I hope this gets "found".

November 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger Ms Blondie Knits said...

Oh, that makes me sad. . . it's hard to believe this kind of thing would happen in a place where we all like to feel the knitting love! Maybe. . . maybe. . . someone tried it on and forgot and walked out of the store? I hope it gets returned. . .

November 28, 2010 at 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sad. Some people are just without morals.

November 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Wandering Bird said...

Oh my gosh, you can't be serious! That's really sad.. With the Christmas season in swing, I can't imagine how you'd justify stealing anything to yourself. I mean, it's wrong to steal period, but stealing something someone hand made in the holiday season is just...wrong.

November 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Julie P. said...

I am at a loss for words. I just can't believe that! :( Can't trust anybody.

December 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Cathi said...

I owned a needlepoint shop and someone took a needlepoint candybag complete with candy. It had just been published in a book and I only noticed it missing when I went to display the two together. It had 8 bells attached to the tassels and I never heard a thing....how and why do they do it??

December 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home