Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Here's lookin' at you, KADD.

As I have admitted previously, although I am undiagnosed, I am quite sure that I have ADD, ADHD, OCD and any other manner of acronyms.

Whatever the unofficial diagnosis may be, this much is clear. I definitely have KADD: Knitting Attention Deficit Disorder. In the past, some customers have referred to me as "evil yarn temptress." Well, as the buyer for Loops, I am tempted daily by amazing new projects to cast on. Only by sheer willpower and additional distraction am I able to keep my number current projects down to two or three. Right now, here's what I've got going.

When in New Orleans a few months ago, I saw this really simple scarf made with Kidsilk Haze, interspersed with some occasional rows of sequins. Since I'm allergic to mohair, I decided to make one in Silky Alpaca Lace, and (perk of being the buyer) I ordered in the sequins for Loops in lots of juicy colors.



This pattern couldn't be easier. Just cast on about 30 stitches on #9 needles and knit 32 rows in the Silky Alpaca Lace, then 6 rows of Sequins. Over and over. TV knitting at its finest. I think it's going to block out really pretty.

Another fun, mindless project I have going is the Waterfall Scarf featured in our last Loops Scoop. It takes one skein of Alchemy Sanctuary and three skeins of gorgeous Alchemy Silken Straw, such an incredibly unique yarn. It's 100% silk, feels like paper, and softens up like butter when subjected to a steam iron.


This project is described as "meditative" by creator Gina Wilde. You just make icord, then pick up stitches off the icord and knit, knit, knit in the Straw. When it's done, you felt it. The Sanctuary shrinks and the Straw grows, creating a ripple effect.

I'm also dying to cast on something in Louet Euroflax. Unlike our Gina H., who's made about two dozen Euroflax sweaters, I've never actually knit with it. Louet recently came up with a process to make the linen even softer, so I'm eager to cast on...something...Gina has a new vest pattern I'd like to try. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, yes, I actually do finish projects on a fairly regular basis. Love how this Make Up Your Mind tank turned out, in Kollage Luscious.


It was such a fun pattern, because just when you get bored with one stitch, you get to try another!

I also recently completed this easy Infinity Scarf using two skeins of Blue Sky Hand-Dyed Cotton. The Jul "pedestal buttons" really make it. Look for these and lots of other Jul products coming to our newly-relaunched website very soon.



Oh, and one more thing...I think I'm the only member of the Loops Troops who has yet to cast on Loretta's Effin Scarf. Here I got to model one that Loretta made in Neriyake Silk from Habu. I'm thinking I've gotta cast on one in Be Sweet Wild Silk.


Oh wait - was that my phone ringing? Or a text coming through? Or a dog barking? Something shiny just caught my eye.

But before I go...I have 2 1/2 skeins of Seedling leftover from this Seedling Vest I made, and about half a skein of the Kollage Luscious from the top shown above. Anyone want them? Just leave a comment telling me which you want, and why. I'll choose winners at random on May 29!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I must have ADD too. I am working on Leisl in Euroflax, several different scarves and the Wisdom Wrap which sounds like the Water fall you are working on. I got the pattern at Loops but it requires 2 skeins of each silken straw. Is Waterfall just a smaller version? I am thinking you must have had both patterns because originally Gina did think I only needed one. I had to come back the second ones. Just curious. Can't wait to see yours finished. It is very fun to knit!

May 19, 2011 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm a fellow sufferer of KADD and would love your left over yarn! - Laura H.

May 19, 2011 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Michelle, the Wisdom Wrap is larger and a little different than the Waterfall Scarf, but the same idea. I wanted to make a Wisdom Wrap but decided to do a scarf for our store model since it makes better use of the "orphan" skeins we might have at the store. I saw the Wisdom at market and it rocked! Please share pix when yours is done!

May 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger bapratt said...

As a fellow sufferer of acronyms of any combination, I would love the leftover yarn to make an "effin" scarf!! Having said that...oh what's that over there...did I hear something...wait, where is my knitting...is that the phone... :-)

May 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

I would to have any yarn that has been in your hands. That would make your OK LOVE LOOP really show in WA state. :-) You are truly an amazing woman Shelley.. just seeing your happy face and reading your words makes my day. I SUPER DUPER LOVE LOOPS! My little teeny tiny lys went out of business...so I'm shopping with YOU! Love you!

May 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Carolyne said...

My husband says my hobby is actually buying yarn and knitting is just a way of making more room for more yarn. I cast on for the seedling vest a couple of weeks ago but got distracted by the infinity scarf (half done) then had to start a scarf with the berrocco seduce I bought because it was pretty (30 rows done, I wonder where I put it). I am trying to get my sweater I started at the beginning of the year done because it't too hot to work on it and I want to move on to summer knitting. I bet if I rearranged my yarn bins I could squeeze in some more. There were so many cute patterns in the seedling book...

May 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I am the Queen of Melting Resolve. For Lent, I gave Loops up (I know, I know!). No Loops for 40 days. Except for......

Harriet's class. I thought "Well, that's not REALLY cheating since it is a class and not buying anything." Except for when I got in the store and there was some of that recycled sari yarn calling to me.

And I, of course, melted; the Visa appeared out of nowhere from my purse and the sweater that I had been dying to make was finished several weeks later.

Why I try to resist, I do not know why. What I buy, I actually use.

(I wonder if anyone will notice that I was gone for an hour or five casting on my latest project).....

May 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for clearing up Shelley...you had a sample for a little while in the store but had to send it back...do you recall if that was Waterfall or Wisdom?

May 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'd love some leftover yarn! My sister recently started knitting - taught herself from a book I recommended (she lives far away so I couldn't show her and she wouldn't wait til I saw her!) I could help her get her "stash" started!

May 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Jill K. said...

I'd love to have some of the Seedling to make baby booties/socks with. Looks soft and perfect for this with enough left over to do a bib and/or hat!

May 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Alex said...

I just got don't knitting a baby tunic with some sprout (the bigger version of seedling?) and I would love to make your leftover seedling i to something cute for my little lady! She just had eye surgery and needs all the soft and cozy she can find! So I will make something for her out of this if I win it and then I will post the adorableness wearing it on the Facebook page =)

May 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Estela said...

I would love some of your leftover seedling, it would make a great vest for my 2 year old.
thanks for passing on...

May 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Heather S said...

I'd love some yarn! They're both so lovely, but I think I would have to pick the Seedling - what a pretty color!

May 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home