Monday, December 10, 2012

Loops Troops' Picks: Rowan Lima and Alpaca Chunky.

Loops Troops member, Loretta, fell in love with Rowan Lima last fall when it first arrived at Loops. 


 "It flew off the shelves pretty quickly, but I was able to get two skeins that I turned into the Rikke Hat," Loretta says.  "It was so cute and knit up so quickly that I immediately cast on for another one, both of which ended up in Chicago with my daughter.  They are super soft and plenty warm."




Rowan Lima has a chain-like construction that makes it light and lofty.  It's composed of 84% baby alpaca, 8% merino and 8% nylon, and has 109 yards per skein.  Originally introduced as a DK yarn, Lima is really a worsted and works up best at a gauge of 5 stitches to the inch or even less.  It is much softer at a looser gauge, and the chainette construction helps minimize pilling so you can get away with the looser gauge.

Lima's big sister is Rowan Alpaca Chunky.  It's 98% alpaca, 2% polyamide, and 76 yards per big, chunky skein.  It knits at 2.75 stitches per inch on #15 needles.  And even though she usually prefers smaller-gauge yarns, Loretta has fallen for this one, too.



"Like everyone one else, I'm caught in the cowl craze," Loretta says.  "I first made a Garter Stitch Eternity Scarf in Cascade's Baby Alpaca Chunky for the store..." 


"Then I realized I could whip up another for my daughter in Rowan Lima.  I modified it slightly to  make it a bit smaller to make sure my 2 skeins would get 'er done and, sure enough, it's as cute and wearable as ever."



"Now I'm thinking, maybe one more in Rowan Alpaca Chunky.  Hmm...which color to make?"

- Shelley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home