Saturday, November 10, 2012

Shawl by Melanie.

Sometimes, the coolest ideas just walk right through our front door at Loops.

Melanie came in wearing what first appeared to be an awesome sweater, but on closer examination, was an awesome shawl.  

 
After we stopped oohing, aahing and possibly even drooling a little, she told us it was her own design, whipped up between shifts as an ER doctor in NYC.  She kindly agreed to let us take photos.


And even more kindly, she agreed to share her pattern.

Despite my very large queue of holiday gift knitting, I began to obsess over this shawl. Melanie used a light worsted baby alpaca.  So I found two great yarns in our stores that would fit the bill.  Berroco Flicker is an extremely soft, airy alpaca blend with the tiniest flicker of sparkle - enough for a holiday party but also great for everyday wear with jeans.  I was very, very tempted by the Violette blue (#3339).


Rowan Lima is also the perfect gauge and alpaca blend.  I thought long and hard over using the off-white #890, which on closer inspection is a melange of creams with a touch of pale yellow.  So pretty!
  

And then, my eyes landed this.


Could I really justify a fourth project in as many months with this luscious, cashmere/silk ArtYarns Ensemble Glitter Light?  Well, it has 400 yards, which is just under the 2 skeins Melanie had for her project - and she had a bit left over.  So the answer is, if I can get a whole shawl out of one skein, then YES, yes I can justify it!

I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress.  Nancy came by yesterday while I was choosing yarn, and she decided to knit along with me.  She chose the Lima (4 balls).


If you'd like to knit along with us, here is the pattern:
Yarn: 440 yards alpaca or alpaca blend
Needles: #15 24" circular
Cast on 110 sts.
Knit 10 rows. 
Begin 4-row box stitch repeat: 
1. k15, *k2, p2, repeat from *, k last 15 sts 
2. k15 , *p2 k2, repeat from *, k last 15 sts 
3. k15, *p2, k2, repeat from *, k last 15 sts
4. k15,* k2, p2, repeat from *, k last 15
Repeat rows 1-4 until desired length for shawl is reached. 
Knit 10 rows.  Bind off.  Receive many compliments :)

Thanks again for sharing, Melanie!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this shawl design! Thanks for sharing!
Connie
connknits@ravelry

November 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I love this pattern & am planning on making it for a dear friend who is starting chemo. I'm a beginner knitter though & am confused by the last line: "...kK last 15." I've never seen kK before & don't know what it means. Help, please.
Thanks,
Alicia

January 3, 2013 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Alicia, it's just a typo. Thanks for catching it - I'll fix it now. It should just be K (knit) last 15.

January 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home