Friday, October 5, 2012

Quaking Aspen Shawl and other surprises.

Some people ask me while I still go to market, when these days most yarns can be sourced and purchased through reps and websites.  My answer can be summed up in one word:  Surprises.

One such surprise greeted us at market in Phoenix last January.  If you'd told me that a yarn with funky little flecks would become the fiber I couldn't stop thinking about long after the show, I never would've believe you.

And yet, this Acadia yarn, from this group of incredibly nice people with the decidedly un-pretentious and indescript name The Fibre Company, etched itself on my heart.  My fingers yearned to play with its smooshy, merino/silk/alpaca dk goodness.


And then I saw this Quaking Aspen Shawl - the way the flecks added interest without disturbing the stitch definition.  I was smitten.


This photo of Never Not Knitting's Peurperium newborn sweater is another great example of Acadia in action.  You can just feel the softness, the loftiness, the richness of the color.


And this Schoodic Cardigan by Hannah Fetig hints at the longevity of the yarn.  This is no flash in the pan.  It's a yarn for a forever sweater - combining softness and sturdy twist in beautiful harmony.


This time of year, there's a new surprise almost every day at Loops.  I've been busy sprucing up every corner, creating little pockets of surprises for our customers.  Here's a new display of our Feza Alp Exquisite yarn (and a one-skein Effin Scarf below).


And I took our amazing array of Alchemy Silken Straw and gave it its due, hanging the skeins so you can see them in all their handpainted gloriousness.  The New Magician's Scarves hanging above were made by Loretta and Gina, and each take 2 skeins Silken Straw (1 each of two colors) and 1 skein Sanctuary.


I made our Alchemy Tweedy "smile."


And filled our favorite Loops blue cabinet with baby yarns and projects.



Another fun surprise just arrived - ChiaoGoo Twist Interchangeable Needle sets in two sizes.  Gina is holding the "Complete" set with sizes 2-15, while the "Small" set has sizes 2-8.



And the best surprise of all - I unzipped the outer pocket to find a needle gauge, cute stitch markers and other gadgets.  How fun!


I don't mind divulging that I ran right home with my set to cast on something new.  This is going to be a Felicity hat in Malabrigo Rios for my friend Maria, who has just begun her fight against cancer.



I am hoping this hat will be a small, bright surprise in her day...in a way that only a handmade gift can be.

- Shelley


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home