Sunday, March 11, 2007

Unfaithful.

Let me first declare that I have always been completely true to my husband.

My knitting projects, not so much.

In fact, I'm not just a two-timer. I'm a five-, six- or ten-timer.

So many of you come into Loops and gaze longingly at our juicy new yarns and projects...but for you, it is forbidden fruit. "I can't. I have to finish this cardigan first..." "I still need to do that second sock..." "My husband's plain, black, XL sweater still needs sleeves." Sigh.

I'm here to tell you, ladies, let the guilt GO. We all work hard, either at jobs, for our families or both. We don't get nearly as many facials or massages or, heck, unaccompanied trips to the bathroom as we deserve. So if you want to dabble in a little yarn dalliance, I say, go ahead and step out with that shiny new silk yarn. Buy that exotic bamboo that tempts you. Cast on with the cashmere. One day, your eyesight will fade...your hands will be too tired...or you might simply lose the urge.

Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side of the yarn store. For instance, I thought I was completely smitten with Coquette, a new Louisa Harding yarn with tiny, multicolor sequins, and dove right in to a relationship with a bell-sleeve cardigan trimmed in cotton (here is a sleeve):


But then I was swayed when a very sexy, black, lace silk project flirted its way into my life (that's all I can tell you...it is so indulgent I have to save the surprise for a later post):


Depending on my mood, I wontonly shift back and forth from the sophisticated sequin sweater to the racy black lace. Meanwhile, I have left in the dust my Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere cable cardi. It's the sort of reliable project that's always there, content to wait until I'm in the mood for it, just happy to be loved:


And if I go digging a bit, I can uncover dozens of cast-aways, projects temporarily forgotten. There is a tinge of guilt, but also pleasant memories of that first blush of excitement, when I cast on for the silk shell...the felted bag...or the fair isle sock. (Oh...THERE'S where I put all those point protectors!)


There's more, but I can only bear to reveal so much. Total honesty could result in permanent damage to my psyche. Yarn confession is good for the soul...but only to a certain point.

Would you like to confess your yarn discretions? Feel free to post a comment.

Perhaps anonymously.

- Shelley
P.S. Have you seen our re-launched web site? You can now shop by line as well as by project. All Blue Sky Alpaca and Rowan yarns are now available for purchase online. Go to loopsknitting.com.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phara said...

I think it's been established that my husband not balancing the checkbook is a good thing. That's my knitting discretion. Love the new website. So good to see all the loops troops together in one pic.

March 12, 2007 at 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me see....
the Noro sweater, lacking only the neck and weaving together

the Viking hat and mitts

sewing together the baby cardigan

Thank God for separate checking accounts!

March 13, 2007 at 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh where to start...

Aran cardigan lacking a sleeve
Half of a pair of socks
Circular shrug (almost there...)
Afghan (what can I say, the lack of shaping bores me)
Modular knit hat (started out of boredom one weekend)

March 14, 2007 at 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guilty pleasures?? Too many projects?? Runaway stash???...I say ..my knitting keeps me out of therapy!

March 16, 2007 at 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home