Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Desperation Chicken.

I feel like the time between mid December and now has gone something like this:

ChristmasRushActualChristmasAfterHolidaySaleInventoryTNNAMarket
LouisaHardingVisit.

It has all gone by just about that fast. Last week, I didn't have time to make a grocery list, so Brent "winged it" at the store, which meant that by the time Thursday rolled around...and I was asked the inevitable question "What's for dinner?" ... the answer was: "I got nothin'."

Literally. All I had was a pack of chicken breasts. Oh, and water. I scoured the pantry and turned up a few more desperate ingredients and voila! Desperation Chicken was invented.

It actually turned out to be goshdarn good. So I'm sharing it with the rest of you folks who would rather knit than cook.

Desperation Chicken:
Dump package of boneless chicken breasts into water, add a few chicken bouillon cubes and boil for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Dump out water, rinse out pot, shred chicken and throw back into the pot. Add one can Campbell's Tomato Soup, 1 1/2 cups picante sauce, and about 1/3 cup diced green olives. Stir over low heat til heated through, and roll up in warmed whole wheat tortillas, with some shredded cheese on top if you've got it. Otherwise, just dollop with more picante sauce. Sour cream would also be good, but we didn't have any!

Serve with a bunch of veggies sliced and sauteed in olive oil and garlic (I had a lonely squash, zuchinni, and red onion in the veggie drawer).

Sorry no pictures. There was no time for that!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You're so industrious. I would've said, "We're going out for dinner!"

January 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

That sounds great! I have a standby recipe that's similar - 1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and one jar of salsa in the crockpot on low all day. By the time I get home from work, it's cooked through and falling apart. I use it for chicken tacos, burritos and enchiladas.

January 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We sometimes have funky food for dinner... Leftovers (used food, my sister-in-law calls it) or whatever one is able to find is up for grabs. We eat together, but not the same thing.

January 23, 2008 at 4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been known to have popcorn for dinner in similar situations.... I'm e-mailing this to Mike! :)

Billie Anne

January 23, 2008 at 6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds great. So does Penny's version. I am just now recovering from IceStormChristmasRushActualChristmasAfterHolidaySaleInventoryTNNAMarketLouisaHardingVisitAndCompany ThroughMostOfIt. GinaH

January 23, 2008 at 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, You forgot to add running off to market and knitting like a vampire all night.

January 24, 2008 at 3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen...I did!! The graphics cut me off. Hey, who you calling a vampire? GH

January 24, 2008 at 6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Ellen, that's not a nice fang to say. Do love guns work on vampires, though? That would be nice to know. -e

January 24, 2008 at 6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a vampire, I'm a vampire, I'm a vampire....

Everyone sing along, now!

Billie Anne

January 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I wonder how Juno the words to that song? -e

January 24, 2008 at 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm home and ready to get out my needles for some serious vampyring or is it vamping?? Oh, my Sweetie is going to love this. GH

January 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I'll turn into a vampire someday... You evil knitters have sent me over the edge to the dark side... I'm knitting with and LOVING that Malabrigo. I only went there in desperation, but I think I'm hooked. -e

January 25, 2008 at 3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! That Malabrigo is SO soft! I started a hat last night and should be done with it this morning...if I get off this computer! gy

January 25, 2008 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Hey Elizabeth, who called Malabrigo "the nasty yarn that ran off my beloved Manos," tonight I'm skipping the chicken and serving up crow, if you'd like to have some ;-)

January 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A plate of crow is always fulfilling and nutritious. Taste just like chicken.
Ellen

January 25, 2008 at 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen...our resident crow connoisseur. :-)

Billie Anne

January 26, 2008 at 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...it is at the top of my food pyramid.

January 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the conversation continues to decline.

January 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home