Friday, April 4, 2008

Shelley & Kristy's Yellow Leona Halter Knitalong

We're going to try something new: Our first bloggy Knitalong! My bestest childhood friend Kristy and I are knitting a halter top, #12 Yellow Top from the new Rebecca magazine.

Kristy and I have both knit since we were about 16. She is the very fastest knitter I have ever known (yes, even faster than Ingrid). She can knock out a baby sweater in the afternoon and has pretty much outfitted all of the new offspring of her gigantic Sunday School group. This, all while she balances the demands of 3 kids and a busy law career. And you thought I was Type A! Here is the Rebecca photo of the Yellow Top:

I have always been a huge fan of Rebecca patterns. For those of you who haven't discovered Rebecca, it's a German magazine produced by Muench/GGH yarns, and is billed as "The young Knitting magazine with the big pattern section." It is always full of gorgeous young European models cavorting around. The instructions are thorough but written in a terse style that is geared to German knitters who picked up the needles in school at age 5. This can be scary to some folks, so we thought a knitalong might help you feel braver about taking it on.

The Yellow Top is in Leona, the big new GGH yarn for spring. It is a cotton blend that is multi-plied. There are tons of great patterns in Leona in the new Rebecca (most of these are in Leona):




We chose the Yellow Top because it's fast, easy and well, Yellow. In case you haven't ventured into stores recently, yellow is the It color for spring. And also I may have been inspired by Brooke White's outfit when she sang "Here Comes the Sun" on Idol. Or maybe not.

Anyhoo, I had a belated birthday lunch with Kristy, who has been in a bit of a knitting slump. I showed her the pic (I knew she couldn't resist a halter) and offered to split a bag of Leona with her (the top takes just 5 balls - plus the figurative balls needed to take on a Rebecca pattern, LOL). I asked Kristy to take photos as she progressed.

Kristy: "How often should I take pictures? Every couple of hours?"
Shelley: "No, every couple of days."
Kristy: "But I'll probably have it done by then."
Shelley: "I loathe you."

Sure enough, she has already made it this far:


Mine looks dinky in comparison, although I do have the added interest of Sandy in the background:

The top has an interesting construction. You make the "body"piece, mostly in stockinette (quick and easy in the round), then make two separate "strap" pieces in ribbing. We both had to do a little investigating on the selvedge instructions, which were new to both of us. We both learned something new and I'll share that with ya'll in our new Knitalong installment.

Meanwhile, if you'd like to join us, you can buy Leona in the loops online store by clicking here. You can also get your copy of Rebecca Magazine #36 (while they last). It has 43 designs in all! Kristy and I are both making the medium (34-36"). The small fits 30-32" bust and calls for 4 balls of Leona. The large (38-40") calls for 5 skeins. I found the yarn a little splitty (Kristy of course had no problem with this), and we both love how light and airy the finished garment is. Kristy also loved the stitch definition.

See you next time, when Kristy will no doubt be finished. It may be the fastest knitalong in history!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yellow. On a Blue? Green. -e

April 4, 2008 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

OMG I'm in love with that top & just started this one that is similar: http://nwplatinum.blogspot.com/2008/03/im-on-roll.html
But I think yours is next.;) Yum!

April 5, 2008 at 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 7, 2008 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger lababla said...

I wish that at school we would have been suggested to knit things like that.Usually the teachers are old and not in the fashion mood. You got to need scarves, jar -"warmers" or ...whatever useless project.Fortunately school is not everything and got to improve knitting after school;))
(fyi: I did my scholarship in Switzerland)

April 11, 2008 at 5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post!! Great job.. I really like that custom made halter dress. I want that halter dress in black color.

June 28, 2008 at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home