Monday, March 24, 2008

Little Ingrids and Brunis in the making.

My last post was such as sad one, I thought we could all use a little knitting happiness.

A few months ago, Gina H. told me that her brother, who is a teacher in Germany, wondered if we might have a couple pairs of needles to donate to the classroom, in case a child or two might want to take up knitting. I handed her a slew of boxes of lighted needles, which were originally available only in the long 12" size, and had been sitting on the shelf awhile.

Well, it turns out those needles were a huge hit. Look at these cute pics:
Can't you just picture our own resident German knitters, Ingrid and Bruni, learning to knit (I know Ingrid learned at age 5)? Look, in this next picture, "Ingrid" is checking out "Bruni's" work. She's about to tell her to rrrrip it out!

Here is what Gina's brother, Dan, wrote to say:

Dear Gina,
Once again, my multi-age class of 2nd and 3rd graders want to thank you and Loops for donating those marvelous knitting needles. Thanks to those needles and Mrs. Torres, our resident knitting teacher, my classroom has been transformed into a class of kids who learning the value of concentration, focus, and commitment. Walk into my classroom in Heidelberg, Germany on any school day and you will see pockets of children carefully listening to a lesson or story while quietly knitting away. As you can see from these pictures, my boys are picking it up as quickly as my girls. One of my boys is even in the process of knitting a scarf for his father who is currently deployed in Iraq. I don't know how often he's going to be able to use it, but it's the thought that counts and I know that his father will treasure it always.
We will continue to send more pictures as we progress throughout this school year!
Dan L.


And here come some more cute photos:




Thanks to Gina for coordinating this effort. It feels great to send a little Loops love across the Pacific. And maybe some day, these kiddos will become Loops shoppers! (Yes, we ship overseas ;-)

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

7 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Great photos. I learned to knit at around age 5 and I can tell you it makes you fearless. You figure you can do anything when you're young and my experience is that it carries on through life (relative to knitting and crocheting but not everything)

So sad about Sandy. I hope you can find a good home for her.

March 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the cutest blog you have ever posted! Except for Cecily's clay people! I know Sandy will find a good home...You and your family have been so good for her. She knows she can trust people again and you helped her on her journey.
Ellen

March 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

In a word: precious!

March 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great!

March 24, 2008 at 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scratch that 1st post. Sandy still has a good home!
Ellen

March 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of all the work my brother and his wife, Jeni have done with our service men and women's children. They provide a nuturing and creative environment for these wonderful kids. They are truly dedicated professionals who give selflessly each and every day. Love you guys! Gina

March 26, 2008 at 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah boys! Yeah knitting!
Yeah to progressive education...knitting while listening!

April 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home