Friday, March 21, 2008

Most miserable blog EVER.

Normally, I love blogging. It's the perfect combination of writing (love) and yarn (love LOVE). Simply put, it makes me happy.

But not tonight.

Tonight I have to talk about something that's literally breaking my heart.

We have to give Sandy back.

She is an amazing dog. I'm completely in love with her. She follows me everywhere. Her big tail starts wagging - thwap, thwap, thwap - the instant she hears my voice. She loves belly rubs. She has an inexplicable attraction to terrycloth. When we've been gone awhile, we come back to find our bathroom towels on the floor, with a telltale Sandy hair or two. She kisses us like there's no tomorrow. She is loyal and brilliant and loving and so grateful that we rescued her from her previous (very unpleasant life). She stopped with the door destruction after a couple of days - housetrained instantly - is now leash-trained and has learned to Sit for treats and petting. She loves cheese and peanut butter and walks and resting her head on my feet while I knit.

But - she keeps scaring two of my kids. It's when she's sleeping or tired and they come running through the room, hopping and shouting as kids will do. It freaks her out. She lunges and growls and, though she doesn't bite, I just can't live with the fear that she might. We tried a trainer and puppy Prozac. But the truth is, our house is grand central station, what with us officing at home and all the clients and playdates coming in and out. It's just a frenzied environment for a dog who needs a peaceful one.

I need Sandy. But Sandy needs a nice couple or single person who needs a very best, best friend. It is just too much for her, here in our chaotic, crazy, lovely home.

The kids are not happy about it, but they know it's best. She's going back to the SPCA tomorrow - which also happens to be my 40th birthday. I want to keep her longer, but each day gets harder. As much as it breaks my heart to give her up - I know it is best for her, and safest for my kids.

The very best birthday present I could have, is to find the perfect home for Sandy, and know that she will be loved forever. She SO deserves it.

If you are interested, please please email me (shelley@loopsknitting.com), and I'll forward your info to the SPCA. It's a rule that she has to go back there, at least for a couple of days, before she can be adopted out again. After all she went through to leave there, it just makes me physically ill. But it is the rule. And they do adore her there.

Here are some pics we took tonight:



- Shelley

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley--my heart broke reading your post, but I know you are doing the right thing. Sandy will know that and she'll find a nice, quiet home and she'll settle in instantly because of the love you and your family gave to her. Thinking of you all!

March 21, 2008 at 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hope you get your birthday wish and someone will be able to take her in. The perfect someone. :(

March 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Dawn ;) said...

I'm so sorry to hear this and I totally understand. I'm in the same position but can't seem to bring myself to give my dog up though I know it would be best for all. I'm going to give it much thought this weekend after reading this and I hope you find the peace and lovely home for Sandy that you desire.

Have an awesome B-Day!

ps ~ I didn't know I was older than you. ;D

March 21, 2008 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley, my heart breaks for Sandy. I pray she will find a home as she so deserves someone to love her. PattiO

March 22, 2008 at 5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley, Sorry I also wanted to say happy birthday! Welcome to the great side of life! PattiO

March 22, 2008 at 5:58 AM  
Blogger Twisted Knitter said...

I'm so sorry about your having to give Sandy back, but you provided her with a wonderful halfway home and made it so much easier for her next family. Your knowing just what she needs makes it that much easier for her to be placed in the right home.

Sending good thoughts your way that you will get your birthday wish! Happy Birthday! You're going to be in your Fun Forties!

March 22, 2008 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Ms Blondie Knits said...

Hi 40-year young Shelley, I wish I could take Sandy, but we have one of those crazy chaotic homes, too: 3 kids still at home, 3 dogs, never a quiet moment! I know it's a hard thing you're doing. Karen

March 22, 2008 at 8:00 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

So sorry about Sandy. I recently went through a similar situation, and I know how horrible it is. It sounds like you're doing the right thing--but that doesn't always make it easier.

March 22, 2008 at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home