Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Big Coffee Brother is watching you.

I was driving through the Starbuck's at 91st and Yale the other morning (my home coffeepot was recently broken in a tragic accident). Since I was thus far uncaffeinated for the day, I was a bit sluggish. So, as I was ordering into the little box speaker, I momentarily rested my head on my car windowsill. And then came the overly chipper voice from the box:

"So that'll be a grande, 3-pump nonfat white mocha. Would you like a pillow with that? (chuckle)"

What the???!!!!

How did he know I was resting my head? I carefully peered at the speaker box and noticed only one tiny little hole above the speaker. Could it be? No...

So of course, when I got to the window, I said, "Sorry but I have to ask. Do you have a camera in your order-taking thingie?"

And he had to answer, "Yes."

Someone call the A.C.L.U.! Someone call the 6 o'clock news! I want someone from "Channel 2 works for YOU" to find out what creepy, voyeuristic coffee exec came up with this brilliant idea!

On second thought, maybe I'll just get a new coffeepot.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com
(always free coffee in store :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Elabeth said...

What? This is going to destroy my husband's feeling of specialness. He thinks that they just recognize his voice because he goes there twice a day. haha

May 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Ms Blondie Knits said...

Just be glad you were resting your head and not doing some embarrassing grooming thing!

May 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

OMG - so tHAT's why they are so chipper in the morning...that's my starbucks and they are too happy for words!

May 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

Okay, OCD, grande white mochas... we're too much alike. (Although mine is a triple grande 2-pump nonfat white mocha. And the boys have it memorized.)

You should have heard their reactions the time Brad pulled through backwards in the drive thru at 71st and Memorial so that I could order my own! Totally threw them for a loop to see our car sitting there backwards. Doesn't take much to mess with kids hopped up on espresso shots. :-)

May 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

You know, it probably helps treMENdously with getting orders right. They can read your lips while you talk! When they're not coming up with funny things to say about what you're doing in the car, that is...

May 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Ellen S said...

One more reason to not go south of 51st St.
Ellen

May 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home