Monday, August 10, 2009

Spud & Chloe "Sweater" has officially earned its stripes. And its fair isle.

I knew I would love this stuff from the day it was first announced. It's natural, it's from the people at Blue Sky Alpacas, the colors rock. Done and done.

But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding - or the finished object, whichever comes first.

I just finished the Camp Hoodie in "Sweater."


This yarn was a complete pleasure to work with - half cotton, half wool, the perfect storm. Stitch definition TDF. I didn't even mind the finishing too much - and with all of that embroidery, facing, i-cord...honey let me tell you, there was a lot of finishing. On the plus side, there is plenty of contrast-color yarn leftover to make the Flap Happy Hat.

Just as I was preparing to put my Hoodie in the washer (thanks Gina for lending me the woolwash!), I got this email from Annie S. #1 (we just hired Annie S. #2). #1 sent along this photo of her sweater in progress:

Dang! Is this not the cutest cardi??? Here is what Annie had to say about it:
"I am using the Easy Top-Down Raglan Cardigan from Laura Chau. Free pattern. I am making stripes out of [Spud & Chloe "Sweater"] in Cream, Popsicle, Grass, Pollen and Moonlight. I plan to stripe the yoke and once I hit the top of my bustline, I will switch to solid Moonlight.

"I found my inspiration in the Boden clothing catalog that arrived last week. I love how the designers there use the same classic shapes season after season but spice things up with color and details. I really get into their palette. They were showing lots of striped cardigans for this fall/winter.

"So, I decided to knit my own with my own twist--like most women, I loathe to have stripes streaking across my mid-section and hips so I decided to just stripe the yoke and sleeve bottoms. I had come across the pattern some time ago and everything came together like magic for this sweater!"

So there you go. Two very picky knitters. Two very awesome projects. Stripes officially earned.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

I am just about to finish up this hoodie as well! Did you add any rounds to the armhole finishing or keep it at 2 even. The image on the pattern as well as yours seem to have a few more.

Also, in the armhole - which way did you pick up the stiches? I did it from the WS so the ribbing comes out from behind the picked up stitches as opposed to being flush / flat with the armhole. Did i do it wrong?

Pondering pulling it out as it wasn't that much knitting. It also wants to curl under when I try it on...

This project was a big stretch - I am excited as I near the end.

Thanks for any advice!!

September 5, 2009 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

I must admit the sleeves are the one thing I don't love about the hoodie. It's like it can't decide whether it's sleeveless or sleeved. I followed the directions exactly (I try to do that for store models) and I picked up the stitches from the right side. I don't think doing it from the WS would be a problem, though.

The hoodie, overall, was a bit large on me. I washed it and dried it according to the label, and this helped even out the entire piece, including the armholes. It didn't shrink, just smoothed out. And became much softer.

Congrats on almost completing this project! Please post photos in our loopalicious group at Ravelry.com - we are having a "show us your stuff" contest and you could win a $125 gift card! I love when customers try new things - it's the only way to learn :)

September 6, 2009 at 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home