Monday, November 29, 2010

Playing Martha (and busted at the craft store).

A couple weeks ago, Holly sent me a photo of a really cute, simple wreath made from yarn. It just screamed (or rather, gracefully yet firmly spoke) "Martha Stewart" to me. Then last week, Gina Y. asked me (gracefully, yet firmly) when might we would be getting some holiday decorations in the Loops display windows?

So I put on my best Martha smile and got busy.

First, I went to my local craft store and got some styrofoam wreath forms.


I was planning to use some yarn from Loops and my stash, but while I was there, I grabbed a couple skeins of acrylic bulky yarn. When I was checking out, I got to talking with the clerk - she said she wanted to learn to knit, and I told her about Loops classes, handing her a card. I left, carrying lots of wreaths in bags.

About 10 minutes after I left, I got a call from Gina at Loops/Utica. Speaking loudly over the busy crowd in the store, she said, "SHELLEY? MICHAEL'S JUST CALLED - YOU FORGOT YOUR YARN!"

Oh, the humanity!

Anyhow, now that I'd been busted, I sheepishly returned to Michael's and retrieved said yarn. From there, all I had to do was break out the ol' glue gun, glue down the first strand and start wrapping.


For this one, I started with some Twinkle Soft Chunky from my stash, then layered over it with the cheap, squeaky stuff (hard to handle after I'd just been caressing the soft, lovely Twinkle):


I also found some old Classic Elite Tigress in my stash - I like how the different natural colors give a crunchy Anthropologie look to it:


The wrapping looked so fun, I quickly gained a volunteer helper:


Before you know it, I had a whole pile!


Then one of our new Loops Troops, Sherri, crocheted up a whole garden full of crochet flowers using Spud & Chloe Sweater worsted-weight yarn. A little more glue gunning, and voila!





Martha, eat your heart out!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

7 Comments:

Blogger debbie vinyard said...

Love the wreaths! And so easy to do!

November 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger gilded raspberry said...

Super cute!

November 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'd love a class on how to make those flowers!
Your wreaths came out so pretty - I need to come by and see them up close.

November 30, 2010 at 5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to have to borrow your borrowed craft idea for my office to spruce the place up a bit...

Ali

December 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Shayla said...

Oh, my....so adorable! Now I MUST make one too. Copy-catting is the highest compliment, right?

December 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Dana and Daisy said...

very cute and inventive, of course speaks of your brand identity! lol! and I love the posters you have hanging too!

December 2, 2010 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger gilded raspberry said...

Shayla, it's not copy-catting, it's "benchmarking!" :)

December 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home