Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Where (some of) the magic happens.

Lately, I've been making some nice progress on my projects. I finished up this "Big Effin Stripes Scarf," my version of Loretta's Effin Scarf using the very cool Ripple yarn that just arrived. (FYI you do 12 rows of each colors, following the pattern, and it takes 2 balls of blue, 1 ball of silver).


And then I finished this sweet wedding garter for my friend Leslie (and I really hope you're not reading this, Leslie, at least until the package makes it to your house). I used Berroco Seduce for this. Isn't it so sweetly sexy?


And I'm making great progress on my Hot Loops wall project (sorry no pix, it's a secret until the big reveal party on March 31st!). But even with all this progress, I've been suffering fairly severe knitter's guilt. You see, my home office (where some of the "Loops magic" - buying, marketing, planning - takes place), had become an unintentional repository for my stash. This is only a small portion of my stash, mind you. But nonetheless, having to look at piles of disorganized, unused yarn on my shelves was definitely messing with my knitting mojo.

So, I decided to do what I often prescribe for my customers: While you're not using your yarn, decorate with it.


I just grabbed a few bowls that I wasn't using...organized my wayward skeins by color group, and voila! No more (or at least far less) stash guilt!



Got needle guilt? All you need is a pretty vase, and poof! It's gone.


And while I'm giving you a peek behind my curtain, here is the photo that sits just behind my computer. I just love this shot of Sam and Sandy, taken during a Hot Loops shoot a season or two ago.


Next to my needle vase sits this odd little memento.


It doesn't look like much, but really it's one of my most prized possessions - for what it contains inside. After I played a big tennis match, my youngest daughter (then about age 7) presented me with this tennis ball filled with little love notes.


In case you can't read her Sharpie scrawl, here is what some of the notes say (I am leaving the spelling as-is):
"your favorite color is red and you tuck me into bed"
"you're always looking for you're brush and you get me to school in a rush"
"you are 1# in front of a tun"
"I love you mom you are prety, sam wants you to take him to new york city"
"win or lose we love you"

Now, I'm not saying my office is perfect. Far from it.


But, now that my stash is more organized and I've got my special tennis ball, it's perfect for me! :)

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

18 Comments:

Blogger Melaine said...

THis is some of my wool stash. the color landscape changes often as I use and replace wool. I knit and crochet a lot and sell my work. Check the link for the pic.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wooly-Hooker/192777627462279

March 9, 2012 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Sheljel said...

I love decorating with my yarn! It adds a very personal touch. I have several small baskets, bowls, and trays filled with leftover balls -- it's fun making pleasing color combos.

March 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM  
Anonymous Sandy Vice said...

I love your organization--I am organizing a small book shelf with pretty baskets and my stash of yarn will fit beautifully in each basket. My knitting needles are placed in a beautiful vase and my crochet hooks are placed in a decorative container. Thank you for all of the good ideas!! I love Loops!! Please take care. Fellow knitter and crocheter, Sandy Vice

March 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Large round basket weave bowl beside my chair for projects in progress (sitting on my dog crate "end table"). Another large woven laundry basket with leftovers and yarn waiting to become something.

March 9, 2012 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Jill K. said...

I, too, decorate with yarn. I recently made a neck bolster pillow from stash yarn. Use yarn throughout the house not only in craft space. Also, use your tools all around. It helps guests understand your passion for knitting. Keep soft ball of favorite yarn handy to 'pet' when stressed. Knitting magazines in restroom offers quiet time to plan new projects.

March 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yarn wrapped around chip board letters in my entryway! I also have yarn in a hanging wine rack in my craft room! I love to have yarn all around! Thanks for all your blogs!! I enjoy them so much!!!! Laura (laura_9486@yahoo.com)

March 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a basket that is handwoven and has a small antler handle. It is on my log dresser with small left overs in it. Karen Legate

March 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Ephanie DeBey said...

I purchased baskets that matched the decor. I sit them on my shelves. On the outside, they look totally professional and classy. On the inside, they hold all my little knitting treasures. Plus it makes for easy dusting. You just move the basket!

March 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger mkinser said...

Yarn up here, yarn down there. Looks like yarn is everywhere.
In a basket, in a vase,
I have yarn most any place.

March 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger mkinser said...

Yarn up there, yarn down here.
I have yarn most everywhere.
In a basket, in a vase,
lovely yarn all over the place.

March 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger wonderl00p said...

I have a big shopping bag under my desk at work...and all the yarn I buy after I tell my significant other that I will lay off for a while goes under there...lol

March 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am working on hiding my stash from an upcoming visitor, so I have suitcases packed and ready in the garage, have some under a chair and then I artfully placed (crammed ) them in a little cube shelf, so it looks like a display... I also used a bag where you suck the air out and it holds lots of yarn.. but boy is it heavy with no air!!! MaryJo

March 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Terry said...

My yarn goes to DVIS for their safe hoses. Kids who are with their moms in a crisis situation can find lots to do with yarn! I encourage everyone to stash your unwanted stash and take it to your nearest shelter! It will not be wasted!!!

March 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Teresa Williams said...

Sometimes, the new stuff doesn't even make it into the house - it hangs out in the Scout storage container in the back of the suburban, waiting for a project to be finished so the purchase can be "justified". Silliness, I know - the fact pretty yarn exists justifies acquiring more.

March 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anne Barneson said...

I put my yarn in the clear zipper storage bags from the Container Store. That way, I can see what I have and find it fast. Plus, the bags tend to stick together when I stack them and they kind of compress. Also, I can often add a skein or two to a bag that looks full. Thus, a major stash enhancement doesn't necessarily make the pile look any bigger!

March 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

How do I hide my stash? I take it to work and hide it there! Thanks for a fun topic. Kathleen

March 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I leave some of my favorite yarns laying around the house in the entertainment center, on the end tables, but nicely displayed. Anyone inquiring gets to see my eyes light up and here how wonderful knitting is. I also make baby booties out of small quantities! I don't sell my work, takes the fun out of it for me! :)

March 17, 2012 at 5:12 AM  
Anonymous Giselle said...

Love it!!!

April 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home