Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Friend or faux?

When I was little, one of my favorite picture books was about warm fuzzies. The book urged me to be the kind of person who gives lots of warm fuzzies, not cold pricklies.


Sadly, the book is no longer in print. But take heart, dear knitter. For today, we present a fabulous substitute, practically guaranteed to generate lots of warm fuzzies.

Introducing "Friend or Faux."


Is it real fur, or is it faux? With the amazing depth and richness of Prism Yarn's hand-dyed colors, we defy you to tell the difference! And when I snuggle this cowl up against my neck, it feels just like when I was a little girl, burying my cheek in my grandmother's fur coat.


Our Prism Yarn rep, Stephanie, showed me a cowl much like this in our meeting a few months ago, and I immediately jumped in line with a big order for two delicious colorways - "Mink" and "Shadow."



The original cowl had been created by the Prism genius, Laura Bryant. However, it required two different needles, and was done in an allover K1, P1 rib which, frankly, is quite a pain when working with the Plume faux fur yarn. So I created my own version. Here is how to do it.

Friend or Faux Cowl

Using Plume and US #10, 24" circular needles, cast on 78 stitches and join into round, placing a marker. Knit 12 rounds in Plume.

Change to Merino 12 and knit for 6 inches.

Switch back to Plume and work 12 rounds more. Bind off loosely. Lightly block if desired.

To purchase your Friend or Faux kit, click here.

Now, fair warning, this is not a cheap project. This is a treat to you, or someone you love. It's a treat to knit, and a treat to wear with your favorite black coat, or denim jacket, or long boyfriend cardigan.

You may be tempted to recreate this with a lesser faux fur yarn. I'm telling you this as your friend - resist the urge. "Fun fur" and the like will never, no not ever, measure up. This is one time you should do it in the good stuff, or not at all.

That said, there is one other faux fur on the market that I love almost as much as the Plume. It's Fourrure by Bergere. It is not hand-dyed, but it is incredibly soft and there is a nice array of colors. Match it up with one of our chunky yarns for the Merino 12 section, and you are good to go. Of course, we're always here to help you make the perfect match.

Either way, the cowl will only take you an evening or two to knit up. And we promise, you'll have a new best friend for your neck, sure to give you warm fuzzies for many winters to come.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Wendy said...

Hi!

I love your cowl. By chance what gauge did you have? I'm a loose knitter and I wanted to make sure I have the correct gauge.

Thanks,

Wendy

September 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Wendy, our gauge was about 3 stitches per inch. I'm a loose knitter too, if that helps you decide!

September 22, 2012 at 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home