Friday, September 23, 2011

More knitting, less cooking: It's Pat!

Fall has always been my favorite season. But after the Dante's Inferno of a summer we've had, I've never been so excited for a fall in all my life! I think I share this sentiment with many fellow knitters, especially those from Oklahoma: My needles are flying, and I just can't get enough!

And still, the family has to eat.

Many of us yarn-addicted folks share the same problem: We want to knit. Our kids (and husbands) want to eat. One can only live on delivery pizza for so long. What's a busy knitter to do?

So today, dear knitters, we start a new blog feature that we plan to carry through the holidays. Each of the Loops Troops has agreed to share their current projects, along with a complete no-brainer recipe that will keep the family satisfied, yet allow you time to knit.

Pat goes to the Head of the Class for being the first Loopie to submit her recipe. Here's Pat in a vest she recently made in Weekend Cotton from this pattern book:


And here's her recipe:
Pat's 5-Hour Stew
(Don't worry, that's not 5 hours of preparation. That's 5 hours while it cooks in the oven, thus 5 hours of knitting time for you!)
2 lbs stew meat
2 chopped onions
4 carrots (or bag of baby carrots - there's another 10 minutes of knitting!)
3 potatoes cubed
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 can water
1/2 can burgundy wine (Warning: don't drink the other half-can yourself unless you are working on a garter-stitch scarf)
Seasonings: garlic, salt and pepper

Mix all together and put in a large roasting pan. Bake covered at 275° for 5 hours. Enjoy.


While her stew cooks, Pat is busy working on her Tea Leaves Cardigan in Tosh DK (from our last post), plus a vest in Noro Taiyo:


Plus a Summer Flies shawl in the beautiful new Bamboo Cotton Worsted from Three Irish Girls (available at Loops South; 3IG Springvale would also work great):



I keep looking for an excuse to start this project. Think I'll put on a pot of stew and go pick out a color...

Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

7 Comments:

Blogger Dana and Daisy said...

excellent idea, i love the vest, wouldn't it be cute in a leather ribbon, too!

September 23, 2011 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger What's Cookin Stacey?? said...

What a great idea!! Love to hear what others are cooking and knitting.

September 25, 2011 at 6:25 AM  
Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

You can get wine in a can??? I've never even had BEER in a can before! :-) Pat, can I use some leftover Cab, or will that screw it up? And can I use a crockpot?

September 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

Oh, hey, look. My good friend Google says Cab IS a Burgundy wine. Did I mention I went to Christian school and college and was alcohol IGNORANT until my more recent adult years? I'm making up for lost time now. :-)

September 25, 2011 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger pat said...

Size of cans in recipe?

September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Loopy said...

Hey, thanks for your questions and coments...Add burgundy wine to the soup can..you can use any size cans of sauce..it will all cook up. Never did this in a crock pot but it should work if you cook it along time..
Pat

September 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Pat, the stew is AWESOME!!! I just threw it all into the crockpot on low this morning, we to work at Loops, and now it's ready! YUM!!! I tossed in two minced garlic cloves, too. Yummy.
Thanks for the recipe!!

September 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home