Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In which I realize my photography is inferior.

We recently hosted one of my favorite people, Sharon of Three Irish Girls - a.k.a. she of superior skills including yarn-dying, geography, photography and baby-holding.


Sharon brought with her a saliva-worthy trunk show of one-of-a-kind yarns (called "Carpe Yarnem" colors), as well as a long-awaited delivery of her new, utterly delicious bamboo/cotton hand-dyes in worsted and fingering weights.


Whilst with us, Sharon taught a class on "Yarnography" - the art of photographing yarn and projects. I have never felt such shame for the measly iPhone 4 that I use to take my shots. I promise, dear Sharon and dear readers, to save up for a Big Girl camera very soon. I also promise to finish every project I've ever started.

Mm-hmm.

And meanwhile, back down here on earth, I will share with you my sub-par photos of the divine Davina, wearing an Anna's Shoulder Wrap that she made from Three Irish Girls yarn, and proving that she even looks great in iPhone photos.



There is also Mary Jo with her spectacular Summer Flies shawl in Noro Taiyo. This, too, defies the limits of my phone-camera with its undeniable loveliness.


And even without "F-stop control," my phone was able to capture the feeling that fall was in the air when my kids returned to school this week:




There's something to be said for the ability to pull out my very portable phone in the parking lot outside the hair salon, immediately after I had made the rash decision to go red, hoping it would somehow hasten the arrival of autumn. It's hard to turn one of those humongous camera-plus-giant-flash thingies around and grab a photo of yourself in the 105-degree heat.


My wittie bittie phone tried mightily to capture the excitement of our Classic Elite Yarn Tasting on Saturday. But I have a feeling that nobody's camera could have fully documented the pure joy that was in the air - wines, cheese, yarns and models paired perfectly to help us usher in the fall.






If you weren't able to join us, check out the new yarns and pattern books on our Loops Classic Elite pages.

And if you'd like to see what a real pro and real camera can do, read Sharon's post about her visit to Loops. Cracker Barrel aside, it is a thing of beauty.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Davina said...

Love the red hair, looks great on you! I agree, it's so handy to have a camera built into your phone... even if it's not as nice as the iPhone 4. ;)
Also, my wrap was not made with TIG yarn... sadly. I might make one that is, though!

August 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Oops! Davina, upon closer inspection I should have known it wasn't 3IG...but it would be amazing in Springvale DK, no?

August 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Davina said...

Yes, it would! Too bad I didn't end up with any... maybe next time. I've knit with the Springvale (dresses for Sharon) and it is so lovely.

August 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger bschlot said...

The "Yarn Tasting" was a blast, my 1st ever!

August 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home