Thursday, November 17, 2011

More knitting, less cooking: Shelley

Several Loops Troopers are lined up with recipes to share, but this week I've just gotta butt in and share this great soup I found in a recent Real Simple magazine.

I'm-really-into-my-project-just-need-a-10-minute-recipe Chicken Tortellini Soup:
Wash and peel 4 carrots, chop them into bite-size pieces and simmer about 12 minutes in 4-8 cups chicken broth (I use one box plus enough water to almost fill the pot, plus a few chicken bouillon cubes). Add a package of cheese tortellini (refrigerated or frozen) and cook over medium-high for 3 minutes. Add 1.5-2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken (I just shred with my hands), plus salt and chopped flat-leaf parsley, and serve. Tastes like it took all day!

I've been making this a lot lately, because I am in full-on holiday knitting mode. Partly because the holidays are approaching, and partly because I finally finished this:


This is the "Miami Deco Drape" by Jane Slicer Smith, available from Trendsetter in four colorways. You can order the kit through their website and they will send it to Loops for you to purchase from us. It was a lot of work, but really fun and well worth the effort! I wear it at least once a week.

I also just finished off Baby Swing, a Loops Original pattern by Gina H. in Twinkle Baby Chunky, to which I added some Bergere Fourrure (faux fur yarn). Details on how I did this are in our Ravelry knitalong thread. I feel very Rachel Zoe when I wear it - just need a newborn "accessory" on my hip. Or not...



If you saw the Loops Scoop that went out today, you saw the Heel Stitch Mitts I made on the return flight from NYC to Tulsa over the weekend. These were so fun to make, and just one ball of Mendocino is all you need!



And right before I made those, I was feeling inspired by all the mega-cowls I saw on the streets of Soho, so I found a couple yarns in some NYC shops and whipped this cutie up in just a day or so! Don't fret, I've ordered the yarns in for Loops and we'll have them any day...keep your eyes peeled to our Facebook page for details.





Side note: My favorite chair spotted in NYC, at String:


And my favorite billboard in Times Square:



What's up next on the needles? A garter ridge mega cowl in Malabrigo Worsted, and (if it turns out like I hope) another one in Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Hand-Dye. If they turn out awesome, you know I'll be sharing the pattern with you!



With all the knitting that lies ahead, I know I'll be using my all-time favorite "more knitting" recipe (bonus!):
The kids-have-a-zillion-afterschool-activites-and-there's-not-a-minute-to-spare Soft Chicken Tacos
Wash a package of chicken breasts and place in crockpot. Combine a can of diced rotel and a can of diced tomatoes with 1/4 cup taco seasoning. Pour over chicken. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 4-6 hours. Shred right in the pot about 15 minutes before serving to let the chicken soak up the juices. Serve with soft corn tortillas and taco fixings (avocado makes it special). Also perfect when you just flat-out want to knit all day.

Enjoy!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

6 Comments:

Anonymous amy p said...

What color of Mendocino did you use Shelley? And where's the pattern for that cowl? Cool, cool cool!

November 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
Anonymous amy p said...

What color of Mendocino did you use Shelley? And where's the pattern for that cowl? Cool, cool cool!

November 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM  
Anonymous chloeok said...

I saw the chair in a magazine and it inspired my "smaller" version in a pillow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57403063@N02/6341328123/

November 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM  
Anonymous chloeok said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57403063@N02/6341328123/

I saw the chair and it inspired my "smaller" version in a pillow

November 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM  
Anonymous chloeok said...

I saw the chair in a magazine and it inspired my "smaller" version in a pillow.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/chloeok/felted-rose-and-double-leaf

November 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Amy the color is 503 Red Rainbow - it's brighter than it appears on our yarn page - my mitt photo colors are pretty true.

November 18, 2011 at 5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home