Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Necks Big Thing.

Just a couple of days ago, I was meeting with a yarn rep, ordering Spring yarns and resisting the urge to buy more Winter yarns, when he pulled out the coolest little scarf sample. I couldn't take my eyes off it. It was so simple, yet so brilliant (aren't all great ideas?). After our meeting, I grabbed a skein of Malabrigo Rasta and practically skipped home to create my own version.

The Necks Big Thing was born.


I couldn't stop myself. On Thanksgiving Day, as everyone scurried about getting dinner on the table at my mom's house, I was whipping up another Necks Big Thing - this one in Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande.


It took me less than 30 minutes to make.

It took my daughter less than 24 hours to steal from me.



We wore our new scarves to work the Black Friday sale at Loops South yesterday. People positively clamored for it. I handed out at least a hundred copies. So in the interest of paper preservation, here is the pattern - just for you.

The Necks Big Thing
Materials:
90 yards super bulky, bulky or chunky yarn
#19 or #17 needles, plus darning needle
Directions for super bulky or bulky version (such as Rasta or Twinkle):
Holding yarn double and using #19 needles, cast on 5 sts. *K1, P1* across row.


(Note that these photos are of the chunky version - Plymouth Alpaca Grande Hand Dye.)

Repeat this row (seed stitch) until piece measures 8-9” from beginning (approximately 15 rows). Bind off loosely.


Cut 16 lengths of fringe, each 60” or longer. Using a large crochet hook, attach 4 double-strands of fringe on each end of seed-stitch rectangle.

Now, sew end of rectangle together using mattress stitch to form a loop. To wear, wrap scarf around neck and pull fringes through loop.

For chunky version (such as Plymouth Alpaca Grande Hand Dye):
Same as above, except use #17 needles, cast on 7 sts, cut 32 lengths of fringe, and attach 4 quadruple-strands of fringe at each end.



Enjoy! And be sure to hang on to at least one of them for yourself! Mallory and I can't stop wearing them.






- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

24 Comments:

Blogger Knitrageous said...

Thank you! Saw these on some women in Ruidoso, NM, last year. Really liked!

November 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger njgill said...

Just an FYI - "The Neck's Big Thing to Knit" is part of the title of Cathy Garron's book "Cowl Girls". I don't know if it's copyrighted. http://www.amazon.com/Cowl-Girls-Necks-Thing-Knit/dp/1936096048

December 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

We LOVE Cathy Carron's books! (Coincidentally, we had a Loops original pattern called Cowlgirl about a year before the Cowlgirls book came out.) For the record, this line came from the fact that Gina is always saying, "What's the next big thing?" or "I've got the next big thing!" So this line just came to me when I was driving home from meeting with the sales rep who showed me a similar scarf. Hopefully Cathy knows we would never intentionally borrow her line :)

December 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like great minds think alike!!!

December 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Just got an email from Beth of Beth's Yarn Basket in Iowa. She said she was the one who gave my yarn rep the original idea for the scarf, and offered to let him share it with other stores. Thank you so much for sharing your brilliant idea. It's a great reminder of the generosity of others (and of yarn store owners in particular) at holiday time :)

December 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM  
Anonymous Lori B said...

I love this scarf! I've made 3 already!! Thanks so much for sharing.

December 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I think I'm in love! I'm wondering...I have a lot of worsted weight yarn...could I just use as many strands as it takes (I think three) to make it as thick as chunky or bulky and it would work?

December 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When working with the fringe on the chunky yarn (or any yarn for tht matter), how do you keep it from unraveling? Or do I want it to fray? Thanks

December 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Knitrageous said...

Pammie, I tied little knots in the fringe I thought would fray. I made one and added different fringe than the original yarn. There is a picture of what I mean by the different fringe at the bottom of this post on my blog where I credit Loops for the pattern. http://knitrageous1.blogspot.com/2011/12/rikki-dont-lose-that-number.html

If I need to take the blog link down just let me know.

December 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there a way to make this with a loom? That's the only way I knit and finding patterns for loom knitting is quite a challenge!

December 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there a way to knit this on a loom? I knit only with a loom and finding patterns is quite challenging! Thanks!

December 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Pammie, I haven't had any fraying problems but I love Knitrageous' idea of adding other yarns to the fringe. Trying that tonight by adding a sequin yarn to the Rasta. Alyssa, you can use a "scarf" loom (the straight kind) to make a mini-scarf rectangle about 4 inches by 8 inches long, then cut and tie the long fringe onto each short end of the rectangle. Same idea! Also works great with crochet, just make a rectangle to start.

December 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Still wondering as I'd like to make some of these this weekend...If I don't get an answer I'll just figure it all out. :)

I have a lot of worsted weight yarn...could I just use as many strands as it takes (I think three) to make it as thick as chunky or bulky and it would work?

December 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Knitrageous said...

I think it would work fine Kim. You'd just have to experiment to see what size of needle worked like you wanted it to. In fact, I might try something like that myself!

December 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Kim, I made two with worsted weight by holding the yarn 4-stranded in the rectangle, knitting the rectangle to just 8", and using LOTS of fringe. Still the fringe seemed a bit thin...so don't scrimp! Consider putting 4-6 strands in each bunch of fringe. Have fun!

December 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM  
Anonymous NormaB said...

Talk about a quick project, this is one. My daughter and I love it. It is just so much fun figuring out what yarn to use, then start the project, you are just getting comfortable and then you are done. Love it

December 18, 2011 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger litlkrazy said...

Just wanted to let you know that when I posted my finished project on ravelry they didn't have any link to your pattern. So I added it to their database, linking to your blog as listing you as the designer. However, they had no photos so they used mine. Hope you don't mind but I did want to let you know.

December 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

litlkrazy, thanks for letting us know and thanks for adding it to ravelry! In all the holiday craziness, we'd forgotten to do that...

December 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Hi, I tried to find you on Ravelry but couldn't so I'm writing you here. We run a group on Ravelry called Mystery 220 and we were hoping to use your pattern for one of our February KAL's. Please check us out and let us know if it's okay. Thanks!!

January 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Ariel, sure! You have a cool group. Ours is "loopalicious" by the way. Enjoy!

January 5, 2012 at 4:32 AM  
Blogger raggz fiber art said...

it looks really awesome but none of the photos show the scarf in its entirety! every picture ends just below the neck cutting off the photo of the bottom part of the scarf!

April 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does she means "sew endS together"? Is that what makes the loop?

July 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you divide the fringe in half to tie it after you loop it through the stitches of the rectangle?

July 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM  
Anonymous Adrian said...

Finally,, something to do with the art yarn I bought. Thank you

March 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home