Friday, April 13, 2007

My other (secret?) life.

Many of you know that Loops is just one of my full-time jobs. In addition to motherhood and wifehood, I run an ad agency with my designer husband, Brent. (That makes him sound like I picked him up in the Missoni section at Saks. I mean he's my husband and a graphic designer :). Anyway, last week I got to direct an exciting new series of spots for Cox Communications, starring none other than Oklahoma's own Lauren Nelson, Miss America 2007.

Lauren's platform is Internet Safety, so she has partnered with Cox to produce a series of PSA's that will run nationally. Lauren was a complete pleasure to work with - sophisticated and poised beyond her years, but still with that down-home friendliness of her hometown, Lawton. And boy, does the camera love her! She aspires to a career on Broadway, but I'm thinking she should be looking toward Hollywood. Here she comes...getting her makeup touched up on-set. By the way, did you know that on the final night of the Miss America competition, the contestants have to do their own make-up? You'd have to have nerves of steel to keep the eyeliner brush or the mascara wand steady.



During the filming, I really had to be on my best behavior. Not only did we have about 30 clients milling around - including a bunch from the Cox corporate office in Atlanta - but one of the spots also featured Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson! I checked on the way in to be sure my license tag was up to date ;-) Actually, Mr Edmondson was not intimidating at all. In fact, he hammed it up quite a bit, serenading us into the camera when we weren't rolling. Here he is on the left, and on the right, Dave Bialis, president of Cox/Oklahoma, and also a bright, engaging guy.


Though Lauren was incredibly nice and gracious, hanging out with Miss America is definitely not good for the ego. Seeing myself in this photo with her makes me feel every one of my nearing-40 years:


On a break during the shoot, Lauren mentioned she is the 86th Miss America. Someone said that 86 would always be her lucky number. I spoke up and said, "Yeah, I graduated high school in '86." And Lauren offered, "I was born in '86!" Ouch! Reality hurts.

Look for the spots, coming soon to a TV near you. And by the way, if you have Cox Digital Cable, have you checked out the new On-Demand service on Channel 1? Tons and tons of free shows and movies you can play anytime. If you have premium channels like HBO, you get HBO on Demand free. We've been having a heydey with the kids, watching tons of movies without having to go to Blockbuster, and I've been catching up on old episodes of "Big Love." All while knitting, of course. It's nice when all of my "lives" intersect at once!

- Shelley

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, you are amazing and quite the role model. From the time I met you at Karate, waiting for our kiddos, I have been empressed with your drive, energy and goals. Thanks for all you do for us to keep us motivated and wanting to do more ourselves. You truly can inspire,,,, keep up the great work! Pam K.

April 13, 2007 at 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say, "Rock on with that class of '86!" But the me in me is REALLY thinking that '85 is even better!! ;-)e

April 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home