Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rib tickler.

This morning, I got up early to prepare a recipe from Gina H. that calls for Short Ribs - you know, the big nasty-looking rack of ribs that tastes oh-so-yummy once prepared. I was trying to get it in the crockpot before the kids were up. But the girls heard me and wandered into the kitchen as I was getting the ribs out of the fridge. One of the girls asked the other to teach her some letters in cursive, and they seemed safely pre-occupied, so I began to chop the ribs into 3-rib sections...trying to be subtle with the sound of the knife-whacking. I feared that if they noticed what I was doing, we might have two instant vegetarians on our hands.

I was almost home free...the final WHACK...when I felt my 6-year-old's eyes on me. Caught in the act, I asked, "What?" Expecting an "ewwwwww," I braced myself for the worst.

Her response was matter-of-fact:
"OK mom, I think that's officially dead."

- Shelley
P.S. The recipe: Two racks of short ribs, one bottle of ale or other dark beer, 1 can of diced tomatoes, cook on low in crockpot all day. Season with salt and pepper. And yes, it is tasty!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny!!

October 17, 2007 at 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happened at my house. Kind of. My dad had been duck hunting. I was 3 or so and napping. My mom had hoped to "take care of" the duck before I awoke. They found me standing at the sink looking at Duck. They were quiet. "Quick, give me your knife," I said. My already large-eyed mother asked why, and I told her, "So I can cut out its quacker, put it in my pocket and quack whenever I want to." -e

October 18, 2007 at 4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home