Monday, December 8, 2008

Mal-Pal Cuff.

My youngest has just finished her first knitting project:

She calls it the "Mal-Pal Cuff." Yes, the stitches are a bit wonky. But I am thrilled! When you own a knitting store, there's more than a little pressure for your kids to be expert knitters right out of the womb. I taught this one to finger weave when she was 4, and to knit when she was 6, but it never really stuck. In fact, it mostly succeeded in creating tension - and I don't mean the yarn kind.

But she is waaaay into her gal-pals, and she wanted to make some of them a little something for Christmas, so we finally had some natural motivation to work with. I let her dig through my stash and she found this leftover Prism yarn in - naturellement - purple. We cast on 10 stitches on #6 needles and she knit until it would stretch around her wrist (the stretching also helps smooth out the wonkiness). I made a 2-stitch buttonhole, sewed on a button from my box and voila!

(Don't you love the way the Cuff coordinates with her self-inflicted manicure? Thank you, Mr. Sharpy, for inventing the permanent marker).

I told her she did a great job, and she said, "Mom, it's in my blood." But it was the next comment that told me she has true potential to become a Real Knitter. When she finished the first Cuff, she counted on her fingers and declared, "Hey! If I work on these every day, I can have one for all my friends by Christmas!"

Ah, the optimism of youth.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonky stitches are always better than no stitches at all, and wonky in grown-up speak is known as "hand of the artist":) -e

December 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger gilded raspberry said...

So, I have to know...did she manage to make one for all her friends? :)

December 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home