Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sally rally.

We had a great turnout for the Sally Melville workshops at Loops yesterday. This is one of those times I wish Loops was about 5 times bigger, so we could have accommodated the huge waiting list! As it was, we held the classes next door at Polo Grill - which of course had the added bonus of scrumptious food and attentive service.


Here's Janet, noticing the cute waiter:

Only kidding. Janet and everyone else were intently focused on the purls of wisdom that Sally was constantly bestowing upon us in a never-ending stream. Here's a tip I learned: Are your sweater arms always fitting wrong? It may be how you're measuring your sleeve length. (Gasp! I've always done this wrong!) The proper way is to measure from the center of the back of your neck (the top of your spine), all the way down your arm to the wrist break, with your arm bent.

Another tip: When moving from the edging to the main body of the sweater, do an extra purl row for your increase row (using the lifted increase). This will give a more defined break from the edging to the sweater - plus you don't have to worry about increasing and starting your stitch pattern in the same row. Genius!

I was so late getting home that I had to make dinner, pronto. I have long been devoted to Rachel Ray's 30-minute cookbooks, but I recently discovered a huge treasure trove of recipes on her website. Last night I made Bacon Sloppy Joes. My youngest has always turned her nose up at "Sloppies" but who can turn down bacon (my sister used to be a Vegetarian Plus Bacon). Plus this recipe is full of "hidden" veggies. These were a huge hit! Tonight we're going to try the Cubano Pork Chops. Reasor's doesn't have the Peppadew peppers, so I'm gonna try Petty's.

Bonus: They have to be grilled, so Mom gets a little knitting time!

Thanks again to Sally...the quintessential knitting instructor...we hope you come back soon!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The radio station I listen to was talking about "Bacon Salt" this morning. All the flavor of bacon, with no fat or calories. And it's kosher!

Billie Anne

October 21, 2008 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Ellen S said...

Great find Shelley! I am actually thinking about making the tomato blue cheese tart
ellen

October 22, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home