Monday, June 1, 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel.

OK, so I didn't get Rusted Root finished by Pine Bluff, Arkansas. But then again, we didn't go through Pine Bluff, Arkansas! We took the "Texas route" to Destin and either we had the wind behind us, or traffic was light, or we were covered in Pixie Dust...but somehow we got to Destin in a record 13 hours (usually it takes us at least 15!). We also had the benefit of minimal pitstops. Only when we arrived in Hattiesburg, Miss. for the night did I realize that my youngest had "held it" all the way from Tulsa - 10 hours! She shall forever hold the title Superbladder. I don't know whether to be proud or fear a bladder infection.

Anyhoo...I did finish the Rusted Root on the trip! I had it all done except for the weave-ins by the time we hit Alabama. Here is Rusted Root entering downtown Mobile:

Rusted Root enters the Mobile tunnel (under the Mississippi River - always a crowd pleaser):

Rusted Root reaches the proverbial (and literal) Light at the End of the Tunnel:

Rusted Root crosses Mobile Bay (I am holding the camera white-knuckled. Bridges make me break out in a cold sweat):

And Rusted Root, weave-ins done, not blocked but nonetheless complete!

I really love this...love love love...the Calmer knit on 8's makes it fit perfectly and it breathes, even in the hot Florida sun.

Tonight: casting on the Blooming Cotton scarf. And hopefully, I'll be reading all the details on the ravelry/loopalicous group about the fabulous visit from Takako of Habu Fibers. I can't believe I'm missing it - but Takako changed her schedule after we'd already planned our vacation. Can't wait to hear the scoop!

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennimac said...

How awesome! We leave for Destin this Saturday and I'm busy trying to decide what knitting things to take with me!

June 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Brenda said...

I absolutely LOVE the Rusted Root photos on it's journey from OK to Fl. Very clever and funny. Looks really pretty - glad to hear it breathes. Want to make one - what color is yours Shelley? While I was there for Habu workshop a lovely lady came in and bought the gorgeous blue Calmer to make her Rusted Root. Fun!! Knowing about size 8 needles is great to know!!

June 8, 2009 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

I used Calmer #476 Coral. There is not a "bad" color of Calmer! I love the whole palette...but would recommend staying with a light-to-medium shade to show off the lacework.

June 8, 2009 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Shelley Brander said...

Oops - here is a link to Calmer on the Loops site.

June 8, 2009 at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home