Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why I'm obsessed with this scarf (and why you should be, too).

If we were in Australia (or in an Outback Steakhouse commercial), we would say this Blooming Cotton Scarf is just so bloomin' fun.

The dirty little secret is, it's also incredibly easy.

Yeah, sure, it's rated as "easy" by Interweave. But what does that really mean to all of you scarf lovers out there who under-rate your own skills, who refuse to even call yourselves Advanced Beginners, and who continue to beg us for "TV knitting," "Knitting I can do while drinking my glass of wine," "Knitting I can do at the lake," "Knitting I can do while flying on a trapeze" etc. etc.?

It means just what it says. This. Is. Easy.

In fact, I think it's by far the most complicated-looking yet easiest to actually make project of all time. It will be an heirloom, the scarf you wear and people gape and say, "You're kidding? You made that? You should quit your day job and knit all day. You are clearly a knitting prodigy. I marvel at your skill."

Now I know that most of you don't really believe me. "Give me garter stitch or give me death!" you say. So let me spell it out for you.

1. You need to know how to cast on, and you need the patience to cast on 400 stitches. But you do the scarf the long way which means it goes fast. Let us show you the knit-on cast-on (EASY!) and it will save you trying to guess how much tail to leave for 400 bloomin' stitches.

2. You get to pick out colors - this is also fun - and don't worry about color theory or anything because the scarf is ingeniously designed to blend your colors beautifully even if they don't match. Even if you choose lime green as your main color!

3. The scarf uses a slipstitch technique which is really Color for Dummies. This makes fair isle look like a Ph.D. discipline. Believe it or not, you only knit with one color in each 400-stitch row. For instance, in this row I am knitting with pink. I knit some of the stitches with the pink:

And some of the stitches I do NOT knit, I simply slip the taupe stitches (from an earlier row) from the left needle over the right needle without knitting them:


The slipstitching pulls the rows into little circles so you get the scalloped effect without you even trying.

4. All you need is the knit and the slip stitch. There is one purl row in the pattern, but Eunny Jang even gives you the option to turn the work and knit that row so you never have to purl! The whole scarf is knit in the round. Then at the end you cut it and tie the cut pieces off (with plain ole' knots) to make fringe. Easy! Easy!

By the way, the Louisa Harding Albero is really truly yummy to work with...the lenpur (renewable tree pulp) gives it a silky feel and vibrancy, while the cotton gives it enough "grip" to make it easy to work with. Love it!

Come in and pick out your colors - we love helping with that.

- Shelley
shop online at loopsknitting.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

i love mine too! The colors are more jewel toned - i'll post a pic on ravelry soon

June 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger anniejs said...

Seeing yours makes me think about making another....

June 11, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home